Smoking in Turkmenistan

All about Turkmenistan
Bakhtiyark

Smoking in Turkmenistan

Post by Bakhtiyark »

From what i see smoking is relatively rare in Turkmenistan and almost none-existant among females, however there are little things you should probably know. Cigarettes are in short supply, and were so for a long time, there are tales among Urgench inhabitants about how they were able to fill their tanks with gasoline for a couple of cigarettes.

1) It is possible to "expedite" the land border crossing by giving a couple of cigarettes to guards. Temir-Baba border crossing is literally empty with a couple of trucks crossing every-so-often, however they can process your entry as lo-o-o-o-ong as they please, a couple of cigarettes immediately brightens the mood and you'll make it to Turkmenistan much quicker. Not sure if the trick works on Dashoguz - Urgench border as it is much busier.
2) Shops that sell cigarettes are few and far between and they tend to offer only low to mid-end Russian or Turkish brands.
3) Police officers tend to be very interested in cigarettes, so don't smoke near them, as they might "confiscate" them for whatever reason. Arguing with them is completely useless, so the solution would be to carry a nearly empty package with a couple of cigarettes left to hand it to the officers in case if something like that occurs.
4) While flying by Turkmenistan Airlines, please note that there is a good chance that the cigarettes will be "seized". UPD. They can be seized even from your check-in luggage without your supervision.
5) Some services can be paid by cigarettes, like haircuts, taxis etc.
Last edited by Bakhtiyark on Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
5 x

Bakhtiyark

Re: Smoking in Turkmenistan

Post by Bakhtiyark »

Apparently, cigarrettes became an even bigger issue in Turkmenistan as they are now nearly absent in any store, both state-owned and bazars reluctant to sell them openly as there are often "contraband raids" by police involving seizures. One cigarette could fetch up to two dollars.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Bakhtiyark wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 am
One cigarette could fetch up to two dollars.
Wow :shock:
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Bakhtiyark

Post by Bakhtiyark »

I've got a little update, shortage crisis evolved into relatively reasonable supply, but with some peculiar aspects. Super high prices in private stores/bazaars for familiar brands (Kent/Parliament costing 150-200 manats) with no queue and state dukans intermittently selling cheaper packages (35-50manats) throughout the month of very questionable origin and quality, but still not cheap by any stretch of imagination. If anyone is interested i can post some "cheap" cigarettes that i got my hands on, as they look very dodgy.
1 x

duffajfka

Post by duffajfka »

Bakhtiyark wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:22 am
If anyone is interested i can post some "cheap" cigarettes that i got my hands on, as they look very dodgy.
Yes please!
0 x