Turkmenistan by train - ? tour

All about Turkmenistan
UncleRed

Turkmenistan by train - ? tour

Post by UncleRed »

Hi all

Looking for some up to date information about travel through Tukmenistan by train.
I'm trying to find a way to travel by surface from Turkmenbasi to Ashgabat and out to Uzbekistan. Apparently train is best?

Does anyone know of tour operators that could help with this, or how to do it independently but still get a LOI?

Cheers

UR
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Turkmenistan by train - ? tour

Post by steven »

Just write to a tour operator. They can all do it. Cannot do it independently anymore.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

steven wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:07 am
Just write to a tour operator. They can all do it. Cannot do it independently anymore.
I'm travelling are Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan using only trains - now considering we're look at seeing Turkmenistan, it would be great if we could use the train network to find our way to Ashgabat too.

Is this possible? I'm perfectly fine using overnight trains too - it would be great if we could get a connection from a train line in Uzbekistan, is that possible?
0 x

UncleRed

Post by UncleRed »

UPDATE

I have been in touch with a tour company, recommended via a Turkmen friend. They (and the friend) strongly recommended not to enter via Turkmenbasi, so that I will not do.
The recommendation is now to enter by surface (probably car) between Urgench(UZ) and Dashoguz, then train to Derwaza, Ashgabat, Mary, Turkmenbat and out there.... a U-shape. But I'm just uncertain about how much can be done cheap and by train. I heard that there might not be a train between Dashoguz and Ashgabat.

UR
0 x

emdethuong

Post by emdethuong »

UncleRed wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:09 am
UPDATE

I have been in touch with a tour company, recommended via a Turkmen friend. They (and the friend) strongly recommended not to enter via Turkmenbasi, so that I will not do.
The recommendation is now to enter by surface (probably car) between Urgench(UZ) and Dashoguz, then train to Derwaza, Ashgabat, Mary, Turkmenbat and out there.... a U-shape. But I'm just uncertain about how much can be done cheap and by train. I heard that there might not be a train between Dashoguz and Ashgabat.

UR
I am also in touch with an agent in Turkmenistan, hopefully I can get the LOI and do it around end of Jan 2024. Inshalla. The itinerary version 1.0 they sent me seems to be a combination of train (Dashoguz - Ashgabat, Ashgabat - Mary) and car, no flight (to keep the budget down since I am solo).
0 x
@emdethuong

sion_sanky

Post by sion_sanky »

emdethuong wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:15 pm
UncleRed wrote:
UPDATE

UR
I am also in touch with an agent in Turkmenistan, hopefully I can get the LOI and do it around end of Jan 2024. Inshalla. The itinerary version 1.0 they sent me seems to be a combination of train (Dashoguz - Ashgabat, Ashgabat - Mary) and car, no flight (to keep the budget down since I am solo).
Hi, could you share the contact of the agent you are in touch with?
0 x

emdethuong

Post by emdethuong »

sion_sanky wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:33 am
emdethuong wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:15 pm
UncleRed wrote:
UPDATE

UR
Hi, could you share the contact of the agent you are in touch with?
Artem of Travel Notoria. They have a website with contact. This and Owadan are 2 popular contacts among budget travellers. I am not sure if there are more of the lower budget.
0 x
@emdethuong

monica30

Post by monica30 »

Hey @emdethuong or others, can you please share the whatsapp number of both/either of the below:

"Artem of Travel Notoria. They have a website with contact. This and Owadan are 2 popular contacts among budget travellers. I am not sure if there are more of the lower budget."

I couldn't find them online :(
0 x