Turkmen manat black market exchange rates

All about Turkmenistan
TwoItalians

Re: Turkmen manat black market exchange rates

Post by TwoItalians »

When you cross from Iran buy camel or similar cigarettes in Iran for 0,70 USD and use it for taxis as money. Better than black market rate.
1 x

Marko52

Post by Marko52 »

Got 18 Manat to the USD in Ashgabat late May 2019, through an intermediary who presumably took a slice as well. Think it was done through a trader at the Russian Bazar.
2 x

hh2sg

Post by hh2sg »

We changed with some guys waiting just after the border crossing at Sarahs. We had heard from a local that the rate should be 18.6, so we tried negotiating as much as possible and the highest the money changers would go was 18 Manat to 1 USD.
2 x

sfymoises

Post by sfymoises »

Hi guys

Anyone knows what is the rate of the euro for the manat?

I'm going to cross Bajgiran border in 5 days, and only take some euros.
0 x

davrunaway

Post by davrunaway »

I spent a couple hours finding for money exchange in Ashgabat.

To be precise, there is a phone/electronic shop called ‘iPhone’ (beside a restaurant buffet) in the Russian Bazar that does money exchange at a rate of 1 USD to 18 Manat.

At Bajgiran border, I exchanged at a rate of €1 to 17 Manat. It wasn’t the best rate so I changed for a small amount.
1 x

alarencontredumonde

Post by alarencontredumonde »

On the boat between Baku and Turkmenbahsi: 1$ for 18 TMT
In the Russian Bazaar we also manage to get the same.
1 x

Rohan

Post by Rohan »

davrunaway wrote:
To be precise, there is a phone/electronic shop called ‘iPhone’ (beside a restaurant buffet) in the Russian Bazar that does money exchange at a rate of 1 USD to 18 Manat.
Thank You for this information. Yesterday I visited this shop and exchanged USD for manat at the rate of 18. It was easy to find and as soon as I entered they asked if I want money exchanged and the rate was 18. This place is more safe and reliable than on the street. Recommended!
1 x

Rohan

Post by Rohan »

TwoItalians wrote:When you cross from Iran buy camel or similar cigarettes in Iran for 0,70 USD and use it for taxis as money. Better than black market rate.

Thanks for this information. Bought 4 packs ( 2 of us) of Camel 🐪 in Mashad for 0.50 USD and sold in the Ashgabat hotel for 30 manat each. It’s much profitable than exchanging money. But I heard you can take max 2 packs/person across the border. Ours were not checked.
1 x

Rohan

Post by Rohan »

3 days later we crossed border to Uzbekistan 🇺🇿 from Farap (TM) to Alat (UZ). Everybody had Extra Manat. There were several mobile money changers in the car park of UZ side, the rate was roughly 1000 sums for 3 manat. It was chaotic to do proper calculations. Some were given 30,000 soms (equals 3 Euro) for 100 manat (equals roughly 5 Euro).
1 x

robert

Post by robert »

I asked in the Bazar in Nukus (Uzbekistan) to buy TMT, they offered 1€ = 5 TMT.

In Turkmenistan, we were offered 1$ = 17,4 TMT in Konye Urgench, and 1$ = 17,5 TMT in Dashoguz.
1 x