Tabriz - Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan) by bus

All about Iran
pikdonker

Tabriz - Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan) by bus

Post by pikdonker »

I'm planning a trip to Iran and Iraqi Kurdistan. Want to take a bus from somewhere in Iran to Erbil, but haven't decided on a definitive itinerary yet. Partially because I'm having a hard time figuring out bus routes from cities in Iran to Erbil. I'd probably want to do Hamada - Erbil or Tabriz - Erbil, maybe Tehran - Erbil if that works out better.

But I can't find any info on bus routes between those cities and Erbil. There probably are buses between those cities, but I'd like to know in advance if there are daily routes or not, what time they're scheduled to leave, etc. Have tried payaneha.com and payaneha.ir, to no avail. Does anybody here have a better source?

Thanks!

edit: searching for this some more it seems my best bet is Tabriz - Urmia (Orumiyeh) and than Urmia - Erbil... Still figuring out if Hamadan - Sulaymanyah is a viable alternative...
Last edited by pikdonker on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

pikdonker

Re: Iran - Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan) by bus

Post by pikdonker »

Update:

Did the Tabriz-Erbil trip a couple of weeks ago. Experience:

Tabriz - Urmia by taxi. Cost me a little over 4 million rial. Was arranged by my hostel, they recommended a taxi to get to Urmia on time. At that time I believed that the last Urmia-Erbil bus would leave at 08:00. This was the last bus that was on alibaba.ir when I checked the night before.

Was stopped at the Lake Urmia checkpoint, guard wanted to go through all photos I had on my camera. This took more than half an hour. Was afraid that I would miss my bus in Urmia. When I checked the schedule on alibaba.ir again after the checkpoint it showed a bus leaving at 08:30 that wasn't there the night before. Although I would probably miss that one too at that point.

When I arrived at the Urmia terminal I found out there are later buses, that are not shown on alibaba. I'm not sure when the latest bus goes, but I got a bus that left at 09:00. Was 2 million rial. The earlier ones on alibaba where between 2.5 and 3 mil. The one I got was a VIP bus, but an older, crappier one than most I had been on in Iran up to that point.

Border crossing takes a while, esp. the Iraqi side, they don't seem to get many Western tourists, they had to call around to find out what to do with me. Had to pay the Kurdistan visa in Dinari, was 100.000 IQD. Had to go back to the Iranian side of the border to change, as I had expected to be able to pay in Euro. This was no problem. The whole crossing took quite some time, much more than the locals, but because the time for the bus to go through was almost an hour longer this was no issue.

Arrived in Erbil at about 18:30 local time. Had a great time in Iraqi Kurdistan, would recommend to anyone with some time to spend in the region.
1 x

Re: Tabriz - Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan) by bus

Post by 485500569 »

Fantastic! This is what I was looking for my trip in August. Thanks
1 x