Traveling with dogs in Iran, Pakistan

All about Iran
Spuntenka

Traveling with dogs in Iran, Pakistan

Post by Spuntenka »

Hi is anyone know how is it traveling with dogs in Iran,Pakistan, India. Thanks.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Dogs

Post by Milad »

You'll have a hard time in Iran, dogs are considered unclean by the fundamentalists - who control the government - e.g. walking a dog has recently been banned in Teheran, although some Iranians violate it and usually get away with it, you shouldn't try as a foreigner. They also talked about banning having a dog in a car while driving, not sure if they currently enforce it. Also, a dog will most probably not be admitted to a bus or train. Not sure if they would let you through the border at all, I would not recommend trying.
3 x

Spuntenka

Post by Spuntenka »

Thanks for advice we going to try anyway. Can't go without our lovely dogs. ;)
0 x

hemasrinivas

Post by hemasrinivas »

Travelling in India with dogs are fine, there is no issues with it :)
0 x

blakep76

Post by blakep76 »

I'm sure your dogs *are* lovely, but I'm not so certain they'll get the postive attention they deserve in Iran and many parts of Pakistan. You could be outright risking their lives. In Iran those Basij manning checkpoints on the highways (and you *will* be stopped by them) have no sense of humor or joy whatsoever and aren't going to give you any special treatment as a foreigner. I agree with Milad - better to leave them at home.
3 x

sina_persian

Re: Traveling with dogs in Iran, Pakistan

Post by sina_persian »

I do not agree these radical comments. It's not the way to help by making people scared of travelling somewhere. a Greece friend of me recently traveled in Iran by a camper with 2 large dogs. The control at the border only asked if they have any papers then it was a simple check. so for sure crossing the borders with the pets is not banned. I have my dog here in Tehran, always driving with him sitting on my leg. That's right about the crazy rules against the dog owners. walking with dogs in public and showing up with a dog in the car is not allowed but it doesn't mean it makes people avoid that and there is no control check for that. It would be ok if u take them to the small parks. The real challenge u will have with your dogs would be finding a permanent shade during the day if u are going to leave the dogs for a city tour.
3 x

Spuntenka

Post by Spuntenka »

Hi thanks for positive message. I was thinking it can't be banned to travel with dogs. Many travellers have dogs as part of family and i dont think they leave them at home. I also got positive information from other forum.someone say that is easy to cross the border with dogs. They just look at the papers and that's it.I have to agree the first advise was very scary make people to not travel to this destination .thanks again for positive info 🙂
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Hi,
I've travailler 4 times in Iran with m'y dog, without and problem.
Don't know Pak.

RR.
2 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Pakistan will probably have less rules. I don't know how it is, but I know people have been travelling through Pakistan with dogs.
They probably don't like them so much, but it also means they are scared of them and don't want to inspect your vehicle.

On average, in muslim areas (also in India) they don't really like dogs but they will be okay if it is with you.
And if you don't keep your dog on a leash, for example in a bazaar area, they might think it is a street dog and try to hush it away. Surprised reactions when they find out it belongs to you.

In India there are much more street dogs, sometimes packs, so that can be an issue. You probably don't want to get them in a big fight with your dog. And these dogs can have health problems as well.
1 x

roro

Post by roro »

Sorry, I mean without ANY problem!

RR.
0 x