German government advices not traveling to Iran due to arrests and detentions

All about Iran
johannesengl

German government advices not traveling to Iran due to arrests and detentions

Post by johannesengl »

Hey there :) I am on my way to Iran by car. I am currently a bit concerned about the security situation in Iran. The German ministry of foreign affairs is at the moment not recommending tourists to travel to Iran because tourists recently got arrested and randomly turned away when trying to enter the country. Specifically people who have had close contact with locals in the past for example having done couch surfing might lead to problems.

Any ideas if those are valid concerns? I have been in Iran about five years ago but I feel like the situation is a bit more unstable at the moment. What are your current experiences in the county or entering the country?
Last edited by johannesengl on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: German government advices not traveling to Iran due to arrests and deportations

Post by Milad »

jm2c: I know a lot of German-Iranians who choose not to travel at the moment because of this, arbitrary detentions do happen, mainly targeting persons who are both ctizens of Iran and a Western country, but also persons who are "western" citizens only but do have close relations (family) to Iran.

If you have no close relations to Iran, it's extremely unlikely that anything will happen to you. They have an interest in tourists bringing in hard currency, and obviously, locking them up for no reason would be counter-productive. If I had no personal relations, I would probably go. Still, be aware that the country is ruled by fanatics.
0 x

johannesengl

Re: German government advices not traveling to Iran due to arrests and detentions

Post by johannesengl »

Thankyou so much for your reply! This is very helpful. Could you recommend a resource to stay informed about further development in this matter like an international Iranian news website?
0 x

Florejan

Re: German government advices not traveling to Iran due to arrests and detentions

Post by Florejan »

Would this be the same for other European/Belgian tourists? Belgian government do not recommend travelling to Iran for the same reason. Few days ago the Belgian government signed a (controversial) deal with the Iranian government to exchange a randomly imprisoned Belgian NGOworker for probably a convicted terrorist who's in jail in Belgium. Does this situation make it any different?
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

It will be for all countries that are signing or helping with the nuclear deal. So all EU countries could be targeted to arrest tourists in Iran.
Maybe countries just all state this to be covered or maybe they got Intel about this.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Florejan wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:08 pm
Would this be the same for other European/Belgian tourists? Belgian government do not recommend travelling to Iran for the same reason. Few days ago the Belgian government signed a (controversial) deal with the Iranian government to exchange a randomly imprisoned Belgian NGOworker for probably a convicted terrorist who's in jail in Belgium. Does this situation make it any different?
As I said, I think it's really unlikely that such a thing happens to Western tourists without close personal relations to Iran. I mean, there always is a slight risk of something happening (but there is also a risk of being run over by a car in Tehran wich probably won't stop you either). No idea if the risk is higher for certain nationalities (and anyway, it's hard to work out any logic when dealing with fanatics).
1 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

Florejan wrote:
Being Belgian me also, i dont care, i just will go, probably its even a good deal we signed that controversial deal with them, maybe they love us even more !! Will be in Bazargan border normally begin october, much can change still before its october !!
0 x

Florejan

Post by Florejan »

Roadtophnompenh wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:29 pm
Florejan wrote:
Being Belgian me also, i dont care, i just will go, probably its even a good deal we signed that controversial deal with them, maybe they love us even more !! Will be in Bazargan border normally begin october, much can change still before its october !!
Yeah, i made up my mind the same, just go. Will be in Iran at the end of october. If i get a transitvisa for turkmenistan i'll enter at Sarakhs.
0 x

Florejan

Post by Florejan »

Milad wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:46 pm
Florejan wrote:
As I said, I think it's really unlikely that such a thing happens to Western tourists without close personal relations to Iran. I mean, there always is a slight risk of something happening (but there is also a risk of being run over by a car in Tehran wich probably won't stop you either). No idea if the risk is higher for certain nationalities (and anyway, it's hard to work out any logic when dealing with fanatics).
Thanks a lot!
0 x