Current situation Iran

All about Iran
CasaVerde

Re: Current situation Iran

Post by CasaVerde »

Hello everybody! We are a couple from Austria und we will/want cross the Turkey/Iran border in 3 weeks. Is there anybody who is on the way to Iran too? We got our visa in Athens very easy and fast.
Who knows about the current situation while travelling.
Avoid cities, universities and big places at night of course.
Thanks a lot, Pierre
0 x

Valibean

Post by Valibean »

CasaVerde wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:49 am
Hello everybody! We are a couple from Austria und we will/want cross the Turkey/Iran border in 3 weeks. Is there anybody who is on the way to Iran too? We got our visa in Athens very easy and fast.
Thanks a lot, Pierre
Hi Pierre! I am also from Austria and would love to cross from Turkey into Iran around February. I'm traveling by hitchhiking. No Visa yet, I will try to get it in Istanbul I suppose. But hearing different stories I'm considering changing my route through the South (Iraq, Saudi, Oman, Pakistan), let's stay in touch!
0 x

AllOutPhoenix

Post by AllOutPhoenix »

CasaVerde wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:49 am
Thanks a lot, Pierre
Hello Pierre,
We will be in Iran in 4-5 weeks. We know not much more than you at the moment.
How will you get around in Iran? We will come with our motorhome. Not sure where/how to find safe places to sleep yet :D
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Roadtophnompenh wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:51 am
the average iranier hates the US
The average Iranian doesn't hate the USA at all, and definitely doesn't hate Americans.
1 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Roadtophnompenh wrote:
... but since i have travelled through it, with my car and a foreign nr-plate (yes, thats illegal),..
I probably don't understand what you mean here,
I see many people driving through Iran with their car registered in their country of origin,
surprised to read that's illegal ?
probably not what you mean.
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

I think now there is a big difference with the goverment peeps.
The people are the same and are the best in the world, i still have many friends but they all say
dont come now as it's bad.

also the goverment can arrest you at anytime if they see a negotiation chip in you.
offcourse it could be all fine, but i will wait a little before i go back
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

Hugues wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:13 pm
Roadtophnompenh wrote:
... but since i have travelled through it, with my car and a foreign nr-plate (yes, thats illegal),..
I probably don't understand what you mean here,
I see many people driving through Iran with their car registered in their country of origin,
surprised to read that's illegal ?
probably not what you mean.
When you enter Iran at Bazargan-border you have to get iranian plates, because they cant read ours, even the numbers are totally different in farsi. But it was a public holiday and the police-station at Maku where you should get the plates was closed. I just played stupid and drove on my belgian plates. There is 1 exception, if you are on a 10 day transit visa you dont need them. I had a smaller issue leaving Bandar Abbas, but played stupid again and said i dont need them because i am on transit to pakistan, and after some phone-calls they let me go. I was at that moment on my 10th-day in Iran. When arrived at Mirjaveh-Taftan border, nobody asked about it at all . . .
0 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Roadtophnompenh wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:07 pm
When you enter Iran at Bazargan-border you have to get iranian plates, because they cant read ours, even the numbers are totally different in farsi. ...
I'm really surprised to read this, first time i hear.
This link does not mention the need for local plates (although I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy of the info on this site ):
https://markevel.com/your-guide-for-dri ... ran%20visa.
They mention International Drivers license, and Carnet de Passage.

Also this link on our forum does not mention it:
https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/iran/

Another blogger who did it, no talk about local plates:
https://www.travellingforfun.com/drivin ... -car-iran/

Also here, no mention:
https://irantourismcenter.com/driving-rules-in-iran/

Do you have a reliable link to share which states that local license plates are needed ?
So we can update our forum section.
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

The customs in Bazargan give you some documents you have to hand over to the police in Maku (20 km ahead) to make the plates. The only reason not to need is if you are o,n a transit-visa and leave in 10 days . . . Look on the i-overland website, there are several points where they say: "here you get you iranian plates" or give them back !!
1 x

strauss_traveller

Post by strauss_traveller »

Since the last post on this topic was published more than a month ago, I was looking for an update on the current situation in Iran from a traveller's point of view. So, what is the situation in Iran (Shiraz, Isfahan, Tehran, Tabriz) now? I would appreciate opinions from other travellers from Europe. I am planning a solo trip over Iran in mid-April.
0 x