Iranian visa for US, UK and Canadian passports: Q&A

All about Iran
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Iranian visa for US, UK and Canadian passports: Q&A

Post by bwv812 »

I personally would wary of asking a private Iranian citizen to invite you, as they are essentially vouching for you and this can result in potential difficulties for them down the road.
0 x

Tim Ansell

Post by Tim Ansell »

As a British passport holder, based in Dubai and hoping to drive my Dubai registered overland truck through Iran and on into Europe, I am intrigued by the possibility of having a personal invitation for a visa rather than applying for a Tourist Visa through an agency.

I used to travel to Iran on business a lot, for almost 20 years, but not for the last 8 or 9 since I can no longer do business there due to sanctions. But I have trusted friends there who would, I'm quite sure, make a personal application on my behalf at the MFA. But I would like to understand a few things.

1) I'd like to visit for between 30 and 60 days - no point getting to Iran in an overland truck and not exploring the place fully! Obviously I'd not want a guide nor a fixed schedule tour. So what visa do I apply for. I'd be coming as a tourist, but then that implies as a Brit I'd need the guide / schedule. So can my friends simply apply for a 'Visit' visa with no other explanation? Not a "Tourist" or "Business" visa?

Assuming I don't get myself into trouble in any way - I've lived in the Gulf 25+ years and know the pitfalls of saying or doing the wrong thing to the wrong person or at the wrong time - what do you mean bwv812 when you mean it might cause difficulties. I, nor my friends there are not naïve, but do you actually know of issues in the past? Not trying to be difficult with my question, just want to understand all the angles.

Has anyone actually done this successfully?? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for any feedback. I'd pretty much abandoned the idea of heading out via Iran, at least without an expensive guide, but maybe this is my chance?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Tim,

that's a good question. I personally do not know the answer. I don't think, with your experience, you will get anyone into trouble. I think the only way to find out wht the options are is for your friends to go to the migration police or whoever is responsible for the invitation and ask around. I am sure the rules are confusing and the officers in charge don't know all the details.

So perhaps there is a possibility. In my opinion, it will require some digging from your friends in Iran to find out what is and what is not in the cards.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Tim Ansell

Post by Tim Ansell »

Thanks Steven. Guess that's the next step.

If I have any luck I'll report back....
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

I guess I'm more cautious than Steven, but my feeling is that if there's any chance that your actions can have negative repercussions for your sponsors, then it's better not to do it.

The reality is that you're one of the nationalities that normally requires a tour, and we do know that some of the agencies who have tried to skirt the tour requirement have been caught and punished. From staying with friends in Iran I also know they were reluctant to let me do some things while I was staying with them, for fear of drawing attention. At the time I thought they were concerned about my safety, but in retrospect I think they were more concerned about causing issues for themselves, especially since they said they did things like attend mosque regularly just so that they could maintain their ability to get a government job (such things can and are checked by the government).
2 x

Joss.quilty

Post by Joss.quilty »

Hi Tim

Very interested to read your posts, I am currently in Indonesia travelling overland home to the UK from New Zealand.

Was very excited to see Pakistan now move to E visas, the only remaining problem is Iran. I really don't want to rush through such an incredible country, but having a long term guide is way beyond my budget.

I have a couple of friends of friends in Iran who I am sure could send me an LOI if this could work.

Interested to hear if you had made any progress with this/ what your steps have been.

Thanks, and high possibility of meeting for a pint of bitter (!) somewhere along the way. Your truck looks awesome!

Joss
0 x

Tim Ansell

Post by Tim Ansell »

Hi Joss,

Thanks, yes the truck is awesome but sadly very stationary - my trip seems on permanent hold due to work and other commitments in Dubai. So I've not looked into this further as I'm well aware that, especially with Iran, the situation can change every few months. I don't want to line up the paperwork and schedule, until I'm ready to take advantage of it!

So I'm afraid I can't help you with answers, but a pint of bitter in Dubai is easily arranged... (or at my pub in Worcester if you're ever in the area...)
0 x

Joss.quilty

Post by Joss.quilty »

Hi all, as a follow up I just got a Visa for Iran. I am UK citizen. Long winded but got there in the end.

If you are UK and need to pass through Iran message me and I can tell you
1 x

savvyhitcher

Post by savvyhitcher »

Just for info, I am a Canadian citizen who applied for an Iranian visa in Dushanbe Tajikistan. I paid 75 euros and waited a week. Tehran came back with an answer and stipulated that I had to go on a tour. So in the end I did not go (impossible to get an independent visa).
0 x

jdcook

Post by jdcook »

Hello! I have questions about transiting Iran as a UK citizen.

A work colleague and I are planning on doing the Mongol Rally in 2020. As part of that we want to cross Iran. As part of that, I really want to visit Persepolis (and hopefully some other bits).

We will be driving our own car and I understand the need for the carnet.

I know that we need a guide. But I cannot find what exactly is required.

Does the guide need to drive our vehicle? Or can we just follow them?

If instead of driving we wanted to take the train or fly from Tehran to Shiraz and back, do we need a guide on the train / plane? Or can one guide drop us off and the other pick us up?

Thanks you for any help. I'd be especially grateful for any link to official, definitive rules. My search-fu has failed on this one. I've contacted a few recommended guides but haven't heard anything yet.
0 x