Entering Iran on pilgrimage visa

All about Iran
irantourer

Entering Iran on pilgrimage visa

Post by irantourer »

Hello,

An agent has got me a pilgrimage visa which will allow me to travel independently in Iran on a UK passport but I am bit nervous because I am not a Muslim and will be travelling by bike, so fairly obviously not primarily on pilgrimage. It helps that I am of Indian origin and look reasonably Muslim-y.

I've been assured by two other agents (independent to the one that helped me get the visa) that it will be fine and that there is no need for me to apply for a tourist visa through them (advise which loses them my business) so I'm somewhat convinced but would welcome any first hand or anecdotal experience of this.

I will crossing the border from Armenia and from what I've read it seemed that you get questioned on your plans in detail at the border. My "plan" is to cycle to Tehran, meet an Iranian friend there and follow a pilgrimage tour group around Iran.

Any thoughts or advise on this would be most welcome. Getting denied entry would be disappointing but not the end of the world, my concern is around getting detained or worse, which seems like overkill and unlikely, but a worry nonetheless!

Thanks in advance.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Entering Iran on pilgrimage visa

Post by steven »

What happened?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

s1362083

Post by s1362083 »

due to enter Iran around early Oct, will update when I'm there
1 x

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

let me know whether you make it. We plan to drive to Iran next year on uk passports
0 x

irantourer

Post by irantourer »

Just left Iran yesterday. Crossed over from Armenia at Nordooz and I was asked if I was Muslim, and also if Shia or Sunni. They asked for my plans and scanned my passport, but other than that fairly smooth entry and exit.
1 x

sekimdr

Post by sekimdr »

I am a Korean living in Seoul, south korea.
I'm not a muslim, and I drived my car from Armenia, and entered Iran.
There was no question about why I'm going to Iran. I was just traveling with my son .
In my opinion, Iranian border staffs are not so hostile to foreigners and they are most not so good at English, so they seldom asks questions.

No problem.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

@sekimdr: Unless I am mistaken, you were on a tourist visa, not a pllgrimage visa. That's different of course.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

nabeelfarid

Post by nabeelfarid »

@Irantourer: Which agency did you use to get Pilgrimage Visa? I am also a british citizen and planning to cross Iran on bicycle this year entering from Azerbaijan.
0 x

irantourer

Post by irantourer »

Touran Zamin
0 x