Buying fuel in Iran

All about Iran
Fred DC

Buying fuel in Iran

Post by Fred DC »

Hello,
I'll be travelling in Iran by motorcycle in June and I'll like to know how it works with fuel lately.
I read the topic about it here but I'd like to have feed back about recent experiences.
Can I cross the country without buying a fuel card?
What is the price of unleaded fuel for foreigners?
Thanks
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Buying fuel in Iran

Post by steven »

Do keep us up to date if you find out something new, but AFAIK info on caravanistan driving iran page is still current.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Fred DC

Post by Fred DC »

Yes I will Steven
Thanks
0 x

Van_Gogh

Post by Van_Gogh »

No, you don't have to buy your own fuel card. Price for normal fuel is around 2,000 Toman/liter, depending on the location.
2 x

pjsteenbergen

Post by pjsteenbergen »

Just travelled for a month in Iran by motorcycle. Did not need a fuel card, gasoline (bensin) costs 10.000 rial per litre (1.000 toman). I always take the normal stuff with the red grip, never experienced any performance issues.

I have heard from a local that by law there is special pricing for tourists by car. These regulations have not (yet) been extended to motorcycle travellers.
2 x

sekimdr

Post by sekimdr »

From May 16th, 2016, for 28 days, I traveled Iran with my car.
I didn't buy fuel card, but I could buy fuels without any problem. I didn't know about that card during my travelling.
1 x

RonaldK

Post by RonaldK »

Traveling now in Iran. No need for a card, just IRR cash.
Quality is ok but lower on octane. Octane booster sometimes helps performances, you can buy them at 50÷ of the stations
0 x

Elki

Post by Elki »

we crossed Iran north to south from early Sept to early Nov 2018 with a big rig. we made it an habit to fill up once we used 200 Liters of Diesel. Official price for locals with card was 300 Toman/L. For us, the filling station attendant used his card, with which the price changed to 600
This was basically no problem in the north, but got more difficult en route from Esfahan towards Yazd and in fact became IMPOSSIBLE further south: no card no diesel ... but nobody could tell us how to get a card. We got some unexpected help, arranging for us to get 200L.
Towards Bandar Abbas, we did not try anymore, the queues at the pump stations were endless ...
1 x

Elki

Post by Elki »

Update on my comment of 17 Dec 2018: in April 2019 we travelled south to north from Bandar Abbas via Kerman, Yazd and Tabas to Mashhad.
Same story as last year: south of Yazd its tricky to get Diesel, either pump attendants dont have or pretend not to have a card or let you fill with the filling running at 300T/L and then ask for 1'000T/L. From Yazd northwards its not a problem, the price changes to 600T/L but typically you dont get more than 100 Liters.
We have a Euro5 engine, never had a problem with the quality of the Diesel.
1 x

roro

Post by roro »

Hi,
"We have a Euro5 engine, never had a problem with the quality of the Diesel."
How many kilometers have you done since the first time you used Iran diesel (Or from any country in this area)?
Don't forget that if "bad" diesel damages your injectors (then after bad injectors will damage your motor…) you can't see that only after a lot of thousands kilometers!
But , may be , nwadays diesel is better in Iran than before (I'v travelled in Iran with my car in 2011, 2015 ,2018).
RR .
0 x