Buying fuel in Iran

All about Iran
Hammu

Re: Buying fuel in Iran

Post by Hammu »

Hi, I need some information about buying diesel in Iran. Apparently many gas stations require a diesel card to buy diesel and foreigners can’t get the card. Where can I buy diesel in Iran without a diesel card?
0 x

Lzh

Post by Lzh »

Hi,

We have left Iran today. It is easier than it seems. At least for us it was 'easy"

You only have to ask a truck driver, or the gas station worker, to let you use their card. Many of them will easily lend their card and sometimes they will ask you to pay them a bit more than the real prize. Sometimes we got the real price (0,02$/litre) and sometimes we made it even without paying anything! Yes, for free! Also 0,12$/litre is the maximum we paid (40.000 rial/litre). Of course they started asking much more at the begining but it was easy to bargain.

So you just have to go to any gas station and ask the worker if they have "dizel or gasoline" (not all the gas station have diesel, if you see trucks it is a good signal). They dont speak english but they already know that you need their help and for some of them is a good chance to earn some extra money so they will help you.

Bear in mind that as the goverment control their cards sometimes they will not give you more than 30 litres from the same card. So sometimes you will need to use more than one card or go to the next station until you get all the fuel you need.

Do not worry you will see that it is easier than it looks. Just ask where is "dizel", say "no card" if neccessary, and be kind.

Hope you enjoy the trip. Iran is amazing!
3 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

I dont know if i am right, but everybody who had fuel problems did speak about diesel, i will be travellign in a car using petrol, hopefully the normal 95, but i am flexible with that. Anyone had problems finding petrol without that card ?? I would thinK the card is onely used for diesel, and exactly thats why motocyclist knever had a problem (i knever saw a diesel-motorcycle) ??
Am i correct or living in an other world ??
1 x

theroadtrotter

Post by theroadtrotter »

The card issue is only for diesel. With petrol engine you won’t have a problem.
1 x

A&K Travelife

Post by A&K Travelife »

Lzh wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:01 pm
Hi,

We have left Iran today. It is easier than it seems. At least for us it was 'easy"
Hello! If I may ask, what was your car while driving to Iran?
Mine is a Dacia Duster euro 6 diesel (with adblue also...), and I am having second thoughts about the diesel quality.
I will need 5-6 refuelings while being in Iran.

Any help would be uself, thank you in advance.
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

I crossed Iran in oktober from TUR to PAK, with a petrol-engine-car.Had no issues at all to get petrol (at 0.10 cent/liter). I wouldnt be scared about Diesel-quality, they built new trucks overthere with euro-6-engines and adblue, and they run like hell. Only issue you will have is if you go to Baluchistan, there is shortage from every diesel and petrol, because delivery is poor and maybe 75% of what they get is smuggled out to Pakistan. Best is to fill upin BAM, because afterwards it gets problematic with long cues as stations and getting only 20 liter ounce its you turn. I managed to get 40 liter in Mirjaveh just before Pakistan border (in town, not on themain road).
1 x

Lzh

Post by Lzh »

Hi!

We drived in Iran using our Volskwagen Transporter 4 2.5 TDi (2002 and 360.000km) at 40º (July-August) and did not experience any issue. We had around 7-8 refuelings. Today the van is still working as always. But, to be honest, my knowledge about engines and the impact of low-quality fuel is non-existent.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
1 x