Simcards for foreigners in Iran: Q&A

All about Iran
QuentinT

Re: Simcards for foreigners in Iran: Q&A

Post by QuentinT »

Is there something to do to be able to share the internet connection with Irancell ?

Edit : I answer myself : put mtnirancell in the APN fields (Mobile data - mobile data options - mobile data network)
1 x

Yunez

Post by Yunez »

No problem buying a SIM card, just show your passport.
But yes, you can only use your phone for 30 days after using a local SIM card for the 1st time. After 30 days your phone (IMEI) gets blocked. If your phone has 2 SIM slots that means it also has 2 IMEIs, so just switch your SIM card to the 2nd slot after 30 days and you shall be good for another 30 days.
If your phone is blocked you can a try to register it. You will have to pay according to the new value of your phone, I think the cheapest is about 30 USD. Some phone shops will help register.

Or

You can buy a pocket hot-spot. Cheapest 3G is only 10 USD. More available is MTN Irancell 4G for 40 USD.

OR

You can have your phone hacked and change the IMEI
cost 17 USD But expect a factory reset equivalent, so back up your pictures, contacts, what's app chats etc.

Only cellphones have to be registered. Meaning Tablets even with a SIM slot or Hotspot devices do not have to be registered!

In Shiraz this guy who works in a mobile phone shop speaks perfect English and can help you with any solution. Super friendly. If he offers it for free please insist on paying.

Milad Bordbar
+98 9351092942
Google maps 29.6168121, 52.5386388
Fars Province, Shiraz, استان فارس، شیراز،، Tohid St, کافه وکیل
1 x

Freeloader

Post by Freeloader »

Yunez wrote:No problem buying a SIM card, just show your passport.
But yes, you can only use your phone for 30 days after using a local SIM card for the 1st time. After 30 days your phone (IMEI) gets blocked.
True buying a simcard takes 2minutes..first Irancell shop found (not airport)
950000 rials 20go for 3month
Yunez wrote: If your phone has 2 SIM slots that means it also has 2 IMEIs, so just switch your SIM card to the 2nd slot after 30 days and you shall be good for another 30 days.

Incorrect it will Work for another 5days according to SMS i received (source *** below) They detected that the sim used on the new IMEI has been used previously on another IMEI.
If you want to use 2month and not want to register.i suggest you to once your first IMEI is blocked..register and get a new SIM card and insert it in the Virgin IMEI (other sim slot).not garanted and did not tried.could get caught.risky imo...

Yunez wrote: If your phone is blocked you can a try to register it. You will have to pay according to the new value of your phone, I think the cheapest is about 30 USD. Some phone shops will help register.
Registering cost me 1million and 500000 rials (Huawei y5 lite 2018..80dollars phone).
today rate is 1usd 110000 rials (less than 15usd)
some shops selling mobile accessories will do or not (depending on owner mood).Irancell shops will not do registration

You can try registration of your IMEI here(link below) or with help of Iranian (not necessary from a mobile shops).Tried and failed to do it by myself tho

If you have 2 sim slots..you have 2 IMEIs..register both.
Dial *#06# to find out your IMEIs

Iran IMEI registration site
https://epl.irica.gov.ir/ImeiRegister?0

More information about Iran cellphone registration and source of information

https://hamtainfo.ntsw.ir/mobile-registery

راهنمایی:hmti.ir/02. ***

Case 3 quote
According to the Customs Code of the Islamic Republic of Iran on November 23, travelers who have purchased a foreign SIM card subject to the registration scheme are required to register their device. If these passengers do not register their IMEI, they will not be able to permanently use the in-country operator's network services and will be disconnected after 5 days.
2 x

vadai

Post by vadai »

Hi Freeloader and Yunez
I am not sure I understand your posts correctly. Can I just show up in Iran, buy a tourist SIM card and start using mobile data right away?
Or do I need to register from the first day (which seems to be complicated). I am just going to be in Iran for 6 days so the 30 days limit is not relevant in my case. I hope it's just that simple, please let me know
0 x

Yunez

Post by Yunez »

No need to register if you stay less than 30 days. Just buy the Sim card and you should be good to go.
0 x

Cece birder

Post by Cece birder »

Hi there,

I'm planning to visit Iran for the second time next month. The travel agency I contacted to arrange my eVisa, travel insurance, credit card and airport pick-up tells me that they cannot provide me a tourist SIM card anymore. And apparently, you can't get a tourist SIM card from anywhere ("somehow forbidden and it's been for a while now").
Has anyone heard about that, or can anyone share some experience about it? Not having a local phone number and having a limited access to internet (mostly WIFI in hostels that can provide it) is not only inconvenient, I also see it as a negative signal...

Thanks in advance,
Cece from France
0 x

interrailer

Post by interrailer »

Cece birder wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:21 pm
Hi there,

I'm planning to visit Iran for the second time next month. The travel agency I contacted to arrange my eVisa, travel insurance, credit card and airport pick-up tells me that they cannot provide me a tourist SIM card anymore. And apparently, you can't get a tourist SIM card from anywhere ("somehow forbidden and it's been for a while now").
Has anyone heard about that, or can anyone share some experience about it? Not having a local phone number and having a limited access to internet (mostly WIFI in hostels that can provide it) is not only inconvenient, I also see it as a negative signal...

Thanks in advance,
Cece from France
I know several foreigners who are/were using an Iranian SIM card this month (bought within the last two weeks). So should be no problem…
0 x

Cece birder

Post by Cece birder »

interrailer wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 pm
I know several foreigners who are/were using an Iranian SIM card this month (bought within the last two weeks). So should be no problem…
Thanks interrailer, that's good news!
0 x

rk1

Post by rk1 »

Hi!

We bought approximately 2 weeks ago in Shiraz in a random Irancell store located on 2nd or 3rd floor - they didn’t speak any English so we just used translator and it worked out fine. It is a longer process though, needing passport, fingerprint and signature - took an hour more or less for two SIM cards.

Here: irancell.shiraz.fars
+98 71 3234 8888
https://goo.gl/maps/d8FGwcVR2mXhZA4v6

Just continue up the stairs despite the unassuming look of the building.

We did try in the airport in Shiraz as well and the lady said she would try but wasn’t sure it would work, which it also didn’t. She couldn’t really explain why.

~~ it is definitely possible, just seems to be a bit more work than a couple of years ago.
1 x

danto1

Post by danto1 »

any news on the SIM Card situation?
planning to travel to Iran solo in May and Internet on my phone is vital...

thanks!
0 x