Iran has stopped stamping passports

All about Iran
Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Iran has stopped stamping passports

Post by Milad »

In response to US sanctions, Iran has stopped stamping passports. Your visa will be given to you on a seperate sheet (which will be stamped at the border). This is useful if you want to travel to the USA (as you do not qualify for Visa Waiver if you've been in Iran since 2011, note that it's still illegal and you'll get in trouble if they find out via other sources) or Israel (where you will be selected for high-scrutiny security checks if there is an iranian visa in your passport).

There is a news article about it https://en.mehrnews.com/news/136889/For ... ed-in-Iran which has been confirmed by a friend who went there this month. Note that the passports of certain nationalities, namely the ones who do not qualify for Visa on Arrival (no matter if you use VoA or get your visa at an embassy, e.g. US or UK) will still be stamped. Also, AFAIK all neighbouring countries stamp your passport, so it's only of use if you fly in and out.
1 x

BakuBound

Re: Iran has stopped stamping passports

Post by BakuBound »

Just to be clear: there's nothing illegal about visiting Iran from an American standpoint. The crime would be lying about your trip to Iran when you enter the US or apply for a visa.

Given the no-stamp policy only works if you fly in, and given the way in which airline reservation systems are tied together and almost certainly accessible to US authorities, I think a traveller would have to be very foolish to go this route.
2 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

You're right with the illegal thing, I was unclear at this point.

Note that I do not advise lying at the US border, however, I know someone who has been to Iran and got in the US using the Visa Waiver program usin a different passport without problems. They flow Iran Air though, their systems should not be linked to US authorities.
1 x

QuentinT

Post by QuentinT »

I have a valid ESTA. Meanwhile, I will go to Iran. Can I enter USA with/without an Iranian stamp in passport ?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Everything in this thread says that you can't legally do so unless you apply for a visa.
1 x

BartIna

Post by BartIna »

We can confirm the stamping on our visa paper, when entering Iran through the Astara (Azerbaijan) border, in November 2019.
0 x

Yunez

Post by Yunez »

I arrived @ IKA Tehran airport 14 October 2019, VOA (visa on arrival) no problem. Dress smart, be respectful. Showed proof of insurance stating the word IRÁN. Paid visa fee. Interview maybe 5 min, explaining travel plans, why, where and how long. Helps to show itinerary and return flight. Return ticket should be within 90 days. Very friendly.

No stamp in passport, no visa on paper was given to me. I was simply told "OK you have visa" and my passport was given to me.
I did ask the officials at immigration booth for how long my visa was valid and they said "good bye".

I just renewed visa on 11.11.2019 in Shiraz. Very friendly. No questions. Received further 30 days starting from 13.11.2019 (expiry date of previous visa) which I was told is maximum but can get another extension for 30 days. (2 pictures, 350.000 fee + 50.000 forms / less than 4 USD) For the visa extensión I did get a stamped paper.
1 x

ET_

Post by ET_ »

Entered 10 November through Shiraz with eVisa. No question, no stamp, just a smile and a wave.
Got grilled more trying to check in to my QR flight to Shiraz.
0 x

Iveco4x4

Post by Iveco4x4 »

I did get a stamp in my passport when exiting to Turkmenistan!
1 x

Nynke Tirhaal

Post by Nynke Tirhaal »

I still have an Iranian stamp from 2016 in my passport and wondered if there is any country in Central Asia that makes an issue out of that. As far as I know no country in that region does but just wanted to be 100% sure (although probably can't renew my passport anymore before my planned trip).

Thank you in advance!
0 x