Current travel/safety conditions in Afghanistan

All about Afghanistan
ziggytwoshoes

Re: Current travel/safety conditions in Afghanistan

Post by ziggytwoshoes »

Hi there folks,

Good morning. Hope you are all fine. I am planning to visit Afghanistan with my bicycle within a month. I read in this thread that the border between Uzbekistan and Afghanistan is closed. Does someone maybe know if this has changed or if the border for tourists is still closed? I read somewhere else it’s open for passport holders from both countries but it doesn’t say anything about tourists. Thank you in advance for the time and effort invested in this matter.

Guido
0 x

liberspirita

Post by liberspirita »

i've got information that UZ-AF border is closed, both ways.
But AF-TJ is open
0 x

ziggytwoshoes

Post by ziggytwoshoes »

Thank you very much Liberspirita. I assume this information is pretty solid?
0 x

xzio547

Post by xzio547 »

liberspirita wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:48 am
i've got information that UZ-AF border is closed, both ways.
But AF-TJ is open
When did AF/TJ re-open?
0 x

Milka Berndt

Post by Milka Berndt »

*Transit Afghanistan*
We (family with 2 kids in a Campervan) are planning between middle of February to middle of March a fast transit through Afghanistan. We are currently in Nepal. We plan to cross from Pakistan to Tajikistan in 3 days and stay one night in Dschalalabad and one night in Kunduz. We would feel much safer to do this with other people together. Is somebody here want to join us?
1 x

ar5en

Post by ar5en »

Hi Milka!
I am a digital nomadic English teacher from Kazakhstan, have been on the travel for 2.5 years to date, currently in Iran, planning to go to Afghanistan this week by land, stay there for a week or two and then head towards Tajikistan. We could meet in Kabul and I would be happy to make you a company to Tajikistan. I speak Russian so maybe I could be of help for your family. I am so curious about the camper van lifestyle nowadays and it could be a fantastic and relevant experience for me too.
This is my insta: ar5en
Milka Berndt wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:47 pm
*Transit Afghanistan*
We (family with 2 kids in a Campervan) are planning between middle of February to middle of March a fast transit through Afghanistan. We are currently in Nepal. We plan to cross from Pakistan to Tajikistan in 3 days and stay one night in Dschalalabad and one night in Kunduz. We would feel much safer to do this with other people together. Is somebody here want to join us?
0 x

liberspirita

Post by liberspirita »

let us know everything from your experience !
0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Hello Hesam!
h.ahmadybirgani wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:55 pm
...I have driven my 2*2 small car...via Afghanistan...
Also, the roads are super awful and the Salang highway is now closed.
Any more questions, please feel free to contact me.
Hesam/
Please help and give the following information:
1. Tell me, what route did you take in Afghanistan, through what cities? If Salang is closed, how did you travel from Kunduz to Kabul?
2. Are the roads "super awful" everywhere or do they differ by region? Are there toll roads?
3. I am very interested in the price of gasoline, its availability and quality. There is a difference on these points between cities and rural areas. And, in general, more about this - what is the condition of the gas station, payment method - cash/Visa card?

Thank you!
0 x

h.ahmadybirgani

Post by h.ahmadybirgani »

Dear Owner,

I hope you are well. Regarding your questions:

1- Taybad in Iran, Herat, Kandahar, Kabul, Kunduz, Shirkhan Bandar (Tajikistan border). As I can see on the news, the Salang highway is open now. But please check it fully.

2- The roads before Herat is great. to the Kandahar, before Ghalat is not good. After Ghalat to Kabul everywhere is under construction. Generally, across the Afghanistan, there are a lot of potholes due to the explosion of bombs on the way of American troops, plus deep furrows everywhere because of the weight of lorries which are impacting the roads. Please note that Afghanistan just has one one-way transit road which connects Herat, Kandahar, Ghazni, Kabul and Kunduz together. From Herat to Murghab, the worst road (if we can say it road) in my life was seen. but from Kunduz to Shirkhan Bandar the road is great. However, I did it with my 2*2 drive small car with my family not only in Afghanistan, but also Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan and returned again to Iran. you must not have expectations for normal roads! you must be patient and move slower than what you think in your mind, if you do not want to fix your car there.

3- if you mean petrol (benzin), it is about 0.85-1 dollar per litre for octane 95. gas stations are everywhere and there is no problem at all.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards.

Hesam/
1 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Dear Hesam,
Thanks for answers! Tell me please:
1. How much did a visa to Afghanistan cost for one person?
2. How much did the entry permit for the car cost?
3. Where did you get an entry permit for your car - at the border or at the consulate?
4. You traveled through Afghanistan twice - there and back. Was this the same route?
5. Is it possible to pay for gasoline with a Visa card throughout the country or only in cities?
6. Where did you stay for the night? Have they always been hotels? Have you stopped overnight in a rural area right on the road? Are these overnight stays safe?
Sorry for the many questions, but I’m interested in all the details - I have an idea to go to Afghanistan from Kazakhstan in my car. By the way, how safe can a trip to Afghanistan be for a Russian Christian?
Thank you!
0 x