Afghanistan (Kandahar, Kabul, Bamiyan) Solo female backpacker (no tour) – Trip Report

All about Afghanistan
girlgonetolive

Afghanistan (Kandahar, Kabul, Bamiyan) Solo female backpacker (no tour) – Trip Report

Post by girlgonetolive »

This post has been deleted for my own privacy. If you'd like to see it or for advice please contact me privately via www.marshajean.com
Last edited by girlgonetolive on Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
4 x

jacoblab1

Re: Afghanistan (Kandahar, Kabul, Bamiyan) Solo female backpacker (no tour) – Trip Report

Post by jacoblab1 »

Great report Marsha!! Very informative and helpful.

I'm glad you had a good time there :) now I want to see your photos!
0 x
My solo-travel blog: On The Way Around
Covers destinations such as China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more!

Katharine_1993

Re: Afghanistan (Kandahar, Kabul, Bamiyan) Solo female backpacker (no tour) – Trip Report

Post by Katharine_1993 »

Amazing report !!!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Thanks for another great report.

I would like to add that the road you took had a big Taliban roadblock very recently and they checked every car (hoping to catch some locals who work for NGOs/IOs or embassies), and attacks semi-regularly over the last few years. There is no safe way to get to Bamiyan aside from flying. One week no problem; next week a one-way ticket to a Haqqani dungeon in Pakistan for 5 years.

As for passing for a Hazara, I've talked to a few people from East and Southeast Asia who travelled in Afghanistan... they passed for Hazara until they talked. But one who spoke basic Dari could not convince (non-Hazara) people that he wasn't Hazara.
3 x

girlgonetolive

Post by girlgonetolive »

Thanks for the input Christian. Yes you are right I should have emphasized more all land routes are risky. Flying really is the safest way.
Yea, when I walk on the streets and go to a shop some people talk directly to me in Dari, assuming im a local. The moment they pay attention they can already know I'm not a local without even hearing me speak.
1 x

gaz457

Post by gaz457 »

Hi Jean! I sent you a message on Insta but not sure if you saw it. I'm interested to know more about obtaining the Afghan visa in Islamabad on a UK passport. I'm hoping to do it soon. Thanks!
0 x