Trekking to Chaqmaqtin lake

All about Afghanistan
Jokearney

Trekking to Chaqmaqtin lake

Post by Jokearney »

I was wondering how tough this trek is? Is there a lot of climbing? Is the lower route easier?
I’m keen to do it but not sure if I could manage 22 km of steep climbing a day.
Is there any way to visit the decent Kyrgyz camps without going to Chaqmaqtin lake?
Thanks
Jo
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Trekking to Chaqmaqtin lake

Post by Pamirski »

Hi
What do you mean with climbing? There is no technical climbing required, just walking. We went in 2013 to the Little Pamir (Blog with pictures). But only to the Kyrgyz settlements (Kash Goz, Bozoi Gumbaz) and not to Chaqmaqtin, but from the Kyrgyz settlements it is just flat (a guide used to do Pakistan was not very impressed by Chaqmaqtin). When leaving Sarhad you have to go up a while for the first pass (1000 meters).
I would combine lower and upper route, the upper route is also very nice (e.g. when returning).
0 x

jomkearney

Post by jomkearney »

Thanks for your reply and for posting your very interesting blog. So are there more Kyrgyz settlements at the lake or did you go to the main ones? I didn't mean technical climbing just a very steep climb on foot.
0 x

chanchan

Post by chanchan »

Hi,

To answer your question the trek is not easy like some people imply, but you are not rock climbing either. You have to have a minimum of fitness required. I was averaging about 32k steps per day for most of it. I run regularly - I'm not a fittness freak but im not unfit either and honestly I found it quite tough and so did some people I was with that were really into treking. A lot of people go in on horse.

I went in via the lower and out via the upper route. I wouldn't say the lower was easier. It actually felt tougher or maybe I just got used it by then.

I had the impression beforehand that it'd be flat cause it's called a "corridor". Doh! Seriously make sure you are prepared for steep walking trails the first few days, have decent shoes and take your time to adjust to the altitude.

I heard there are some Kyrgyz living around big pamir, but you will still have to trek quite a bit to see them.
1 x

jomkearney

Post by jomkearney »

Many thanks for your reply Chanchan. Sorry for the delay. Very helpful advice. I guess it is possible to take it slower? Also with horses do you need to be an experienced rider? Thanks again, Jo
0 x

chanchan

Post by chanchan »

I wasn't on horse myself, but you should be ok if you've done trial riding.
You'll probably have to walk at some parts where it's too steep and unsturdy for the horse.
0 x