private car Uzbek border crossing

All about Afghanistan
homdogs

private car Uzbek border crossing

Post by homdogs »

Not sure if this belongs in Afghanistan or Uzbekistan, but I'm interested in driving my private car from Mazar e-Sharif in Afghanistan all the way to the UK this summer. Would the car have to be registered in my name? Would the authorities on the Uzbek side allow me to bring a Toyota LandCruiser full of stuff, plus a trailer that I want to pull behind me, across the border? What about from Uzbekistan into Russia? I assume things will become easier once I get out of Russia. I'm hoping to take the road trip of a lifetime but don't know where to get information about what to expect for such a trip.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: private car Uzbek border crossing

Post by steven »

A) If you have a power of attorney it should be fine to cross the border
B) Yes
C) You can start by reading https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/ and https://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/ and the detail pages for each country that you are passing. That should give you some good background information for further questions.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

homdogs

Post by homdogs »

Hi Steven, thanks for the reply. Why would I need a power of attorney? I have a power of attorney for my passport country (USA). Not sure why I would need that for crossing borders. Thanks for the links, I'll start reading!
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

i'm wondering where russia and uzbekistan have their border ;)

are you asking about covid circumstances or just border crossing?
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Well, you asked if the car should be registered in your name. So if it is not registered in your name, you should have a power of attorney to make it clear that you have the owner's permission to drive the car. If the car is registered in your name, then it's fine, you don't need anything except for the regular papers.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

homdogs

Post by homdogs »

Mazeno, you're right, it will be Uzbekistan into Kazakhstan, then into Russia. Really hoping that Covid circumstances will have changed by this June, so I'm just asking about border crossing in general.
0 x