Malaria in Afghanistan?

All about Afghanistan
ccc

Malaria in Afghanistan?

Post by ccc »

It seems Afghanistan is a malaria risk country and I’m interested specially for Kabul, Masar-e Scharif, Herat and Wakhan territory.

Has anyone taken anti malaria pills during a stay?
Last edited by ccc on Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Malaria in Afghanistan?

Post by steven »

Have you tried googling "malaria afghanistan". The first 5 results give a very good overview. Also, if you click on images there are useful maps with malaria prevalence in Afghanistan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=malaria ... CAc&uact=5
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ccc

Post by ccc »

Yep, thanks, but I‘m more interested, if anyone has taken anti malaria drugs during a stay in the risk areas of Afghanistan?
Last edited by ccc on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

travelerthomas

Post by travelerthomas »

The malarial mosquitoes are more commonly found in wet areas, swamps, marshes, I suppose lakes etc than say cities. But double check that. I took some anti-malarial things on my trip to North-East India some time ago. Some nasty strong side-effects I recall. The doctor will tell you to bring something.
0 x

ccc

Post by ccc »

Acc. to https://tropeninstitut.de/ihr-reiseziel/afghanistan

Afghanistan is a malaria country. There is a seasonal and / or regional risk of infection for travelers. Share of Plasmodium falciparum, the causative agent of the dangerous malaria tropica, 5%.

a) High risk: In areas below 2,500m in the eastern areas bordering on Pakistan from May to November

b) Low risk: In areas below 2,500m in the eastern areas bordering on Pakistan from December to April

c) Low risk: all year round in the rest of the country below 2,500m including Kabul

In the listed risk area a) we recommend the preventive intake of Atovaquon / Proguanil (Malarone®) during the risk period. Alternatively, doxycycline can be used. It is recommended as an alternative by the WHO and has been used successfully worldwide for years. Doxycycline is not approved as a malaria prophylaxis in Germany. The specific selection of anti-malaria agents, their individual adaptation as well as side effects or intolerance to other drugs should be discussed with a travel doctor before the trip.

In the listed risk areas b) and c), only taking atovaquone / proguanil (e.g. Malarone®) with you as an emergency medication is recommended during the risk period.
Last edited by ccc on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

maxg

Post by maxg »

ccc wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 am
[/b]Alternatively, doxycycline can be used. It is recommended as an alternative by the WHO and has been used successfully worldwide for years. Doxycycline is not approved as a malaria prophylaxis in Germany. The specific selection of anti-malaria agents, their individual adaptation as well as side effects or intolerance to other drugs should be discussed with a travel doctor before the trip.
I took Doxycycline while I was traveling in Pakistan upon recommendation from tropeninstitut.de (I was traveling in "high-risk areas"). My friends didn't take it. It knocked me out after about two weeks and I was sick for three weeks. In the hospital in Islamabad, they were surprised when I told them what I took and said it was unnecessarily strong medication. Apparently, this stuff weakens your immune system and when you're unlucky (as I was) you might get sick. My friends were all fine.

Just a little heads up:) Next time I'll try the malarone.
0 x

ccc

Post by ccc »

maxg wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:07 pm

I took Doxycycline while I was traveling in Pakistan upon recommendation from tropeninstitut.de (I was traveling in "high-risk areas"). My friends didn't take it. It knocked me out after about two weeks and I was sick for three weeks. In the hospital in Islamabad, they were surprised when I told them what I took and said it was unnecessarily strong medication.

@maxg, really strange, Doxycyclin is not approved as a malaria prophylaxis in Germany.

>>Doxycyclin ist in Deutschland als Malariaprophylaxe nicht zugelassen. <<

https://tropeninstitut.de/ihr-reiseziel/pakistan
1 x