Visiting Afghanistan: ethical questions?

All about Afghanistan
rkvis

Re: Tajik-Afghan border open

Post by rkvis »

Hi all,

It is true that this thread is not the nicest one on this great site. I don´t say that anyone is wrong or right. I only want to ask: could it be that some (or all) are asuming things we don´t know for sure ? I think we asume that the OP is a western, and if so, I can understand some of the reactions BUT, we don´t know that. It could be he is a Afghan living abroad or he can be someone with close connections to Afghanistan and people living there. Maybe he speaks the language and looks like and dress like an Afghani. Then it is a whole other matter. Taliban or not, people are living there, people are working there and probably the borders are open to some extent, maybe for goods transport only? I don´t know but can imagine that.

Try to be nice to eachother and help eachother.

Best to all of you,

Rögnvaldur
1 x

Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Yeah, this thread did end up going quite a bit off topic. But I think that the discussion that we had here goes to show that it's not a simple question and that there are some ethical concerns. I for one think that under certain conditions, going there might not be so problematic. But please first think about all the consequences that your actions might have.
0 x

Skumphuk

Post by Skumphuk »

This forum has few toxic people. Steven get rid of them please and try to find new slaves thank you
1 x

The_Horse

Post by The_Horse »

rkvis wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 pm
I think we asume that the OP is a western, and if so, I can understand some of the reactions BUT, we don´t know that.
Would you like me to reveal my ethnicity to justify the nasty comments?

If I'm brown but raised in a white country does that mean I'm a horrible person deep down but not friendless? Can you tell me what a terrible person I' must be if I'm white?

This was my first post and first time visiting this website. You guys are not representative of all the great people I've met on the road. This is a weird forum.

Some decent people on here, calling bullying behaviour out though.
0 x

rkvis

Post by rkvis »

To The Horse:

No not at all.
What I was meaning is that when you are a western (color doesn´t matter) then it would seem very strange that you would want to cross Afghanistan because the Taliban is known for being against western people and all or almost all westerns left the country. But if you are for example an afghan living abroad or when you are from Central Asia and have experience with Afghanistan, contacts in the country and maybe speak the language then it would not have to be as much of a danger to you then that it could be to a western.
Nasty comments are never to justify and should not be made.
2 x