Bamyan - Did anyone go here in recent times?

All about Afghanistan
Solsticio

Bamyan - Did anyone go here in recent times?

Post by Solsticio »

If so, can anyone tell me whether the land route, either from Kabul or from Mazar-e Sharif are safe?

I know there are short flights from Kabul, but if feasible I would prefer to travel by land.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Bamyan - Did anyone go here in recent times?

Post by steven »

Hi Solsticio,

can you wait another month? I am meeting someone in March who should definitely know the answer to your question.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Solsticio

Post by Solsticio »

steven wrote:Hi Solsticio,

can you wait another month? I am meeting someone in March who should definitely know the answer to your question.
That would be great, thanks!

My trip - if it works out - will only start by mid-April.
0 x

VFok

Post by VFok »

I've recently been to Bamyan but I took the plane there and back. The flights cost $110 USD one way and there are only 2 flights a week. Land travel is not recommended unfortunately. Public transport from Kabul will pass through Taliban territory so it's risky to take this route. You can try wrapping your scarf around your head like the locals to blend yourself in more but it's risky. There is a northern route but there isn't too many public transport. You can try hiring a private driver but it will take 5- 6 hours to get to Bamyan and you will have to pay for his food, accommodation and most likely gas. The northern route is safer, but it's been reported that there are sometimes thieves on that route but such incidences hasn't happened for half a year. There is a road from Mazar i Sharif but that road is not safe. But remember, it's better to ask the locals once you get to Afghanistan since the situation can change quickly.
3 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I also just talked to a tour operator operating in Afghanistan. Bamiyan is still possible, but they fly in.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jimmycambodia

Post by jimmycambodia »

I have also been to Bamyan recently (April 2017) and it is very safe to visit. In the rest of the country I felt the need to blend in and pretend to be an Afghan but in Bamyan there is no problem with people knowing you are a foreigner. They are kind and very excited to see visitors. We also drove to Band e Amir and the road is not only very safe but in excellent condition having been recently built by a Korean company.

The town is very relaxed and you can walk freely in both the town and in the villages.

I also flew from Kabul as I was told the road is not safe, not only because of Taliban but apparently in recent times illegal stops and even retaliation attacks from Hazara's in response to attacks on Hazaras and Tajiks using the road. The flight is easy and also extremely beautiful. Don't risk the road.
2 x

Solsticio

Post by Solsticio »

I just read your reply and I just wanted to let you know that I realised my trip and I have been to Bamiyan last month (Apr 25-27) by plane and I had the same impression as jimmycambodia. I took the flights as well.

The rest of the country was fine for me as well. Apart from Bamiyan and Band-e Amir, I went to Herat, Mazar-i Sharif, Kabul and Panjshir. Because of my looks, blending in was not very easy, but even when I was not walking with locals, I didn't experience any problem and close to no negative reactions to my presence. Also taking photos was generally fine. I can write a more detailed report about my route and impressions later.
2 x