Cycling in Afghanistan?

All about Afghanistan
todd

Cycling in Afghanistan?

Post by todd »

Hi...

Just signed up because I'm curious about this: is it considered very stupid to cycle in Afghanistan, e.g. from Termiz/Hairitan to Mazar-i-Sharif to Qunduz to Shir Khan Bandar/Tajikistan. What about Eshkashem - Wakhan corridor?

Thanks,
t
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Cycling?

Post by Pamirski »

Hi
we did Ishkashim-Sarhad in 2013 (Blog)
The road is not allways the best and rivers are an issue (rise in the afternoon due to melting). At that time security was not an issue (beside rumors, that Talibs made an attempt to advance on Ishkashim, but were stopped early enough). The point is, that the only secure way in and out is via Tajikistan and Tajiks can close the border for unknown reasons up to several weeks without any advance warning. Provisions are to be made in Khorog/Ishkashim, basic supplies in Khandud.
1 x

ggtenco

Re: Cycling in Afghanistan?

Post by ggtenco »

what about cycling through afghanistan from mashadd to pakistan? if embassy give me the visa.
what are the safe areas, what are your advice?
i know the government changed recently and some people tell me the country is safe.
hope in an answer
best regards
0 x

cat_hag

Re: Cycling in Afghanistan?

Post by cat_hag »

My advice is, don't do it. I love Afghanistan, the country is relatively peaceful right now, and you're not likely to get caught up in a firefight or anything like that - but there's still a lot of issues with that plan.

1. I think the main problem is that you will certainly run into issues with the Taliban security forces, who maintain checkpoints along the route. They will find a foreigner cycling on the highway so intensely weird that they will think you are a spy or a member of IS-KP and you will probably be detained. That's not dangerous, as they'd just ask you to come to the police station and you'd end up stuck there for a few hours rather than actually being arrested, but I'd be surprised if they permitted you to continue cycling. It could work if you were able to spend a few days networking with Taliban commanders and district officials in Herat after you cross from Iran before starting out to get a written permission letter, but if you don't speak Dari or Pashto that's going to be very hard, and you will still face a lot of issues at checkpoints.

2. Land borders at Torkham and Spin Boldak aren't reliably open for foreigners to exit the country right now.

3. The only route option would be the ring road south from the Iranian border via Kandahar to Spin Boldak. That route wouldn't be particularly scenic - it's mostly desert highway really, with not much to see from the road itself. And the trucks blasting past you with 0.001cm of elbow room whilst spewing out gallons of uncontrolled diesel emissions are not going to make for a fun cycling experience. If you wanted to cross the centre of the country, be aware that there's a lot of highway robberies and hijackings on the route from Herat to Ghor, the road surface is terrible and often hit by landslides, there are no facilities, and the mountains are ridiculously steep.

Seems like a lot of hassle for not much reward to me. If you want to cycle in the country, you're better off going to the Wakhan with a mountain bike, though I think it would be a long walk pushing the bike mostly.
1 x