Women in the Wakhan Valley!

All about Afghanistan
SPR11

Re: Women in the Wakhan Valley!

Post by SPR11 »

Johanna Higgs wrote:Also, any thoughts on getting between the Wakhan and Kabul?
Nearly impossible. Overland travel in Afghanistan is not recommended, and this route will lead you straight through Taliban controlled areas.
0 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

rimboldo

Post by rimboldo »

Someone interesting for sure you could talk to is the owner of the Mauluda Barieva homestay in the village of Zong (Tajik side). I stayed there a couple of nights last june and found the woman (mother of a cute little daughter) quite interesting to talk to, she speaks reasonable English (and some German as well...). She might give you some idea about how hard life is up there. There's a sign on the main road pointing to the homestay.
0 x

Johanna Higgs

Post by Johanna Higgs »

Okay thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!
0 x

cherishka

Post by cherishka »

Hey Joanna,

I traveled to the Afghan Wakhan back in July. I hired Yar Mohamand as a guide and he was very connected locally. Seemed like he knows everyone in town, maybe he would be able to help you!

You can contact him on his facebook https://www.facebook.com/yarmohammad.attahi or the below -
His email: [email protected]
Tajij number: +992 501866930
Afghan number:+93 795775822

When we were there, no security concern. Yar Mohammed also mentioned he went to Kabul with some travelers this season, I assume it's good to go? The local would know best. Since they are mostly Ismaili (Shia) Muslim, they are in as much danger as we foreigners because they are prosecuted by the Taliban(Sunni).

Safe travels!!
0 x

FlorVallejo

Post by FlorVallejo »

When we were in Zong, 5 kms before Langar, we stayed at a homestay where the woman running the place spoke German and English. ;)
Cheers
1 x