Single female travelling to Mazar-i-Sharif and Kabul

All about Afghanistan
jamielly

Single female travelling to Mazar-i-Sharif and Kabul

Post by jamielly »

Is it safe for a single female to travel to Mazar i Sharif unaccompanied and unguided via the Uzbekistan's crossing at Hairatan for a few days? I also dont speak any Pashtun or Dari and planned to travel onward to Kabul and Bamiyan by flight.
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Single female travelling to Mazar-i-Sharif and Kabul

Post by sebhoff »

I would assume the answer is "No!", but have a look here: https://www.lostwithpurpose.com/country/afghanistan/. Some of the information was updated in October 2018.
Sebastian
1 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Hokum_52 wrote:Well, if I were you I wouldn't take the risk; other people might have been fine, but it's still a very risky endeavour. It's like these two optimistic travelers who rode bicycles through Islamist held territory in one of the 'stans (hell if remember which one... Tajikistan) and who were caught and executed by pro-ISIS militants.
Are you refering to the group of cyclists who were attacked this summer?
Then you are wrong on so many things...
3 x

jimmycambodia

Post by jimmycambodia »

Hmm I would say no.

I am Australian and was there with an Afghan friend. We went to Kabul, Bamiyan, Mazar and Samangan. We dressed locally and I was able to blend in well, but I wouldn't have gone walking around as an obvious foreigner anywhere except Bamiyan, especially not if I was female unfortunately.

Mazar is much safer than Kabul. As for Kabul the answer to your question is an emphatic NO. The city is not safe for Afghans let alone a solo female traveller without a local friend for many reasons (terrorism, kidnap, assault).

In my opinion, you must have a local friend who knows the cities well and can advise you. Otherwise, I would not recommend solo travel.

In addition, the only flights to Bamiyan that I am aware of (Kam Air) have now stopped after the deaths of the Kam Air staff during the intercontinental hotel attack. You may be able to rent a private plane, otherwise the only way is by road which is not safe.

All the best.
1 x