Looking for buddy's to travel the Pamir highway 20-7 - 27/7

Share a ride on the Pamir Highway
Forum rules
1. Commercial offers are not allowed.
2. Please do not share personal contact details in your posts. Get in touch through the personal message system. Your PM stays in your outbox until the recipient logs in again.
3. Posts without a reply for more than 90 days are automatically removed.
4. Please report drivers sending you private messages. It helps us keep this board free from commercial intent.
kikistamou

Looking for buddy's to travel the Pamir highway 20-7 - 27/7

Post by kikistamou »

Hi all,

We are a Dutch couple, looking for travelbuddys to do the pamir highway from Dushanbe to Osh from the 20th of July until the 27th of July.
If it is possible by then. We are wondering if there are some people interested to share costs and have a great trip together.
Feel free to contact us for more information.

Regards,
Jan Jaap (30) and Kiki (26)
0 x

couchpotato

Re: Looking for buddy's to travel the Pamir highway 20-7 - 27/7

Post by couchpotato »

The trip can be risky. First the Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan border is still closed. Second, the unrest in Khorog on 16th this month casts a big doubt of traveling to the GBAO region this summer.
0 x

cjs

Post by cjs »

I'll be interested if this is doable, but as mentioned all plans are up in the air right now with the uncertainty in GBAO. I'm a solo male traveler (29).
0 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

Everyone planning to travel the Pamirs this summer should think of an alternative.
0 x

kikistamou

Post by kikistamou »

couchpotato wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 am
The trip can be risky. First the Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan border is still closed. Second, the unrest in Khorog on 16th this month casts a big doubt of traveling to the GBAO region this summer.
Thanks for your replies and information. That doesn't sound too promising for us. Are there any odds the situation is changed in two months?
0 x

mango315

Post by mango315 »

Hey,

I will be going through Central Asia in June. The idea was Almaty > krygz > tajik (pamir highway) > Uzbek

I have been to some iffy locations in my travels and will skip the Pamir. Not only will it cause a logistical headache (can't enter from krygz, need to go out of my way from Uzbek), the situation there looks horrible. Pamir highway goes right through the epicenter of the tensions and you would be without any form of communication should you have an issue.
0 x

couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

kikistamou wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:59 pm
couchpotato wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 am
Thanks for your replies and information. That doesn't sound too promising for us. Are there any odds the situation is changed in two months?
Only the Tajik authority knows. However last time in November 2021, three local residents were killed during the unrest. This time unconfirmed report says close to two dozen civilians and one security personnel were killed, many more injured. The situation looks very grim.

The Tajik government puts strict limit regarding to all sorts of information. Even people in Dushanbe know little what exactly is going on in GBAO. I emailed Green House Hostel in Dushanbe multiple times. When GBAO is opened and safe to travel again. They should be among the first to know.

Don't give up hope yet. Please come back for information. Although the situation looks grim at this moment. It may improve to a point travelling becomes possible in a month or two.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

If using the violence of 2012 as a reference for how long a closure may last, then expect a closure of GBAO to last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. Who knows what calculation the government may use: A. Return to normality as soon as possible to try to give an impression of peace and stability, or B. Keep the region closed in order to control/suppress information and travel for as long as possible to stop outsiders from seeing what is happening.
2 x

matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I agree with above opinion.
Such a beautiful area with wonderful people.
I intended to return this year but now think it impossible.
My guess is that the area will be closed down for all travel to suppress the troubles.
Everything takes longer there than in the West.
My guess is even next year will be questionable.

But let's think positive and wish the folks there our love for a speedy return to normality.
1 x
SIGNATURE
2014 Scottish End2End 1 month
2015 Pamir Highway Tajikistan & Kyrgyzstan for 2 months
2016 Sri Lanka for 1 month.
2017 Herbrides Lewis Harris 2 weeks
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

During the 2012 conflict (in which more people died) they opened up the same year, only 2-3 months later. The trouble started in late July, and I visited in October.

However, because this conflict has been going on for a longer period, and they have had restrictions on internet and phone services for a longer period, it wouldn't be surprising if this takes longer.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com