Trip to Charyn Canyon, Singing Dune and the 3 lakes

Share an adventure in Kazakhstan.
Forum rules
1. Posts without a reply for more than 6 months are automatically removed.
Larita

Trip to Charyn Canyon, Singing Dune and the 3 lakes

Postby Larita » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 am

Hey guys,

I am currently staying at Almaty Backpackers and looking for people who would like to rent and share a car or know an inexpensive tour going to the sights around Almaty I can join :)

I have time until the 18th of September but would love to start as soon as possible :) If anyone is interested just message me 😊

cheers
Lara from Germany
1 x

Fess

Re: Trip to Charyn Canyon, Singing Dune and the 3 lakes

Postby Fess » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:32 am

Hi- I can give you a bit of information as we have been searching to do the same things. Parasat Hostel runs day trips to Charyn Canyon on Saturday and Sunday for 6500 including admission. Campit Tours is running a day trip to Singing Dunes on Sunday for 8,000. Both run tours to Kolsay & Kaindy leaving tomorrow night in the evening and return Sunday night in the evening for 16,000. Steppe Spirit runs a tour to climb Big Almaty Peak on Saturday with a 20 minute stop at the lake for 8,000 meeting 6:30am and returning around 16:30. They also go tomorrow for 16,000 to the lakes.

We are deciding now what we wish to do but we are thinking to climb Big Almaty Peak on Saturday and then on Sunday leave via public transport/private taxi to visit Altyn Emel, Charyn Canyon and the lakes. We don't want to go on the tour to Charyn on the weekend because we heard it is a zoo and if you go on Monday then it's super quiet. Plus there are other sections on the canyon we hope to see but not sure how we will get there?

Regarding Altyn Emel we found a taxi for 24,000 going to Basshi and then the guesthouse would take us for 25,000 each to Singling Dunes one day and Aktau the next. We think public transport and a local taxi can get us to Kolsay and Kaindy.

We were hoping to find other tourists to join us to share the car to Basshi and then to visit while there. There are also private cars but those are more expensive so we needed to form a group. If we are only 3 we would share the ride to Basshi and visit the canyon on the return.

If interested or any questions let me know. Cheers
0 x

pvh_182

Postby pvh_182 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi Lara and Fess,

I will be in Almaty this weekend (arriving midday Saturday) and I am keen to join on such adventures outside of the city on Sunday and Monday. Keep in touch : )

Paul, 31, architect, Australian
1 x

Fess

Postby Fess » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 pm

We are hiking Big Almaty Peak on Saturday and will go to the Singing Dunes and will have them leave us there so we can visit Aktau the following day although we only messaged them last night so we are still waiting for the confirmation. If you wish to join on Sunday that is with Campit Tours. If you wish to stay the night like us to visit Aktau the following day then we can share the transport into the park. If Lara joins then we can even see about taking a private tour.
0 x

Larita

Postby Larita » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:09 am

Guys thanks for the answers :) I'm definetly willing to join you, I've already been to Big Almaty lake so starting in Sunday sounds great to me :) I also found out that you can get a minivan with a driver on indyguide for about 150 dollars a day. I'm gonna send you my number so maybe er can create a whatsapp group to stay in touch and maybe meet up tonight ?! :)
0 x

rhinomaxil

Postby rhinomaxil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 am

Hi,

We are two people currently in Almaty. We are interested in visiting those places as well but also going to Karakol via Karkara after. I understand that you would go to Altyn Emel on Sunday and to Charyn on Monday, is that right?

François
0 x

Fess

Postby Fess » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

I just got a message that the trip for 8000 on Sunday to Singing Dunes with Campit Tours has been cancelled due to weather. This was a day trip via bus with 50 people so I don't know what they know about the weather but when I google it doesn't show rain? Either way it was cancelled.

We 100% plan 2 days in the park to see both Aktau and Singing Dunes. And now I am worried about the weather? I know if we are 4 we can get a taxi one way for 24,000 to Basshi and then arrange a trip once we are there which could be good if the weather is bad and we won't be stuck paying for a car we can't use.

But also I have been messaging a few guides and once we can agree on an itinerary then we can hit them up for a price. But we need to know how many people for sure.

My WhatsApp is +1224-401-1394. For sure let's try and sort out tonight so we can leave on Sunday- if possible.
0 x

Lubylu

Postby Lubylu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:50 am

Hi guys, we just back from 3 days trip seeing these three with a trip organised by Almaty Backpackers - was really good, can recommend them. Thighs need a few days rest now!
0 x