Embassy report: Chinese visa in Almaty

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Embassy report: Chinese visa in Almaty

Postby Crazydre » Tue May 17, 2016 10:30 pm

kael wrote:...only ''E visa'' were now avalable.
Chinese E-Visa? Thanks for that, NEVER heard of it in my entire life
0 x

Sourdrille Manuel

Postby Sourdrille Manuel » Wed May 18, 2016 6:45 am

Hello,

URGENT UPDATES.

We are two french travelers trying to get a Chinese visa.
Here is our experience :

- Forget the Serik solution ! We met him two weeks ago at his office. He was very friendly and very confident. Also, he asked us 100$ and passeport scan. Then, It told us we could collect the visa in 4 days. After these 4 days, the situation became tricky. Everyday, He told us he was sorry and explained us why the visa wasn't ready (Problem with Chinese partner, problem with printer, problem with the migration office...). Finally, this morning, after 13 days of lies we decided to go at his office. That is the best moment ! He was drunk, and since he didn't expect us, he was caught unprepared. Of course, he eventually admit the visa had been denied. He gave us back the 100$ and we left.

- There is an other solution through Miss Sara at the 40 Manas agency in Bishkek. A friend of us got a chinese buisness visa a week ago. We haven't try it yet, but here is the process : You pay 150$ to get an invitation letter (I don't remember how long it takes (Once you collect it, you have 5 days to catch a flight to Urumqi. Then, at the airport, they make you the visa. According to my friend, It took only 10 minutes.

Also, be advised that the borderland is closed for foreigners right now, that's why even Serik told us It was mandatory to reach Urumqi by flight.

I hope It will help you and we'll update it when we'll have new informations.

Good luck ! But please, forget Serik, he can't grant you a visa anymore and he will lie to you in order you don't ask for the money...
2 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Fri May 20, 2016 1:43 am

OK, so let me get this straight: China issues visas on Arrival with a loi AND E-Visas in advance?

What's going on?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri May 20, 2016 5:35 am

Also, it seems the border is not closed to foreigners. This is something only the agents are saying, both in Bishkek and Almaty. The consulate and other travelers crossing seem to report no problems.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Fri May 20, 2016 8:01 am

Why would the agents do that? Seriously, what do they win from it? That's just bad if they're indeed lying
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri May 20, 2016 8:12 am

Crazydre wrote:Why would the agents do that? Seriously, what do they win from it? That's just bad if they're indeed lying

I think they are just misinformed.
0 x

shirleymbk

Postby shirleymbk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:35 am

So as I understand it it's impossible to get a visa for overland travel in either Bishkek or Almaty? Is Astana possible? Is there any way to get a visa in Bishkek or Almaty (without actually flying to China)?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:19 am

Good question, Shirley, haven't heard the latest news. But it seems you are already trying the Russian transit visa. This seems to be possible and then you can try again in Ulan Bator.
0 x

shirleymbk

Postby shirleymbk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 am

I went and asked the other day at the Chinese consulate in Almaty. They were very friendly and helpful but also 100% firm that they don't have tourist visas, and only give visas to Kazakhs visiting relatives and similiar.
0 x

Margarita

Postby Margarita » Sun May 28, 2017 6:51 am

How I (an American living in Kyrgyzstan with a Kazakh business visa) got my tourist visa to China:
- traveled to Almaty
- showed up at the consulate at 6am and put my name on a sign-in sheet of people without appointments which didn't end up being relevant (you should contact an agent to make an appointment for you so you can show up a little later)
- yelled and begged my way in when they opened at 9am. There were way more than 100 people there. The only reason I got in was presenting perfectly completed documents to the guy letting people in and telling him about my conversation with the Astana embassy who told me to come there with my documents.
-gave documents (itinerary with hotel addresses, copy of Kazakh business visa, passport and copy, invitation letter from travel agent, plane tickets, hotel reservations, bank statement, letter from my employer explaining that I have a job in Kyrgyzstan, photos to correct specs, completed and typed application) and my passport with Kazakh business visa (D2) and was given a payment request document and appointment document for 7 days later at 4-5pm
-hired an agent and went together to a specific bank and paid the embassy
- agent returned one week later and picked up my passport and visa and sent it with a taxi driver to me in Kyrgyzstan for 500som

My agent was Русиям Назметова whose number is +7 775 444 7494 (works on WhatsApp too). She charges 5000 tenge. Call her with at least 3 business days notice for an appointment.

Astana's embassy: +77172793583
Bishkek's embassy: [email protected]

How I didn't get my visa:
- Bishkek embassy (camped out there many days and was never allowed to enter, emailed them for instructions/appointment and was repeatedly refused on the grounds that they were busy)
- Bishkek visa expediter "Royal Travel" (put my application and documents on the consul's desk, but they refused to say yes or no)
- Osh consulate (told me that since February no one in KR has been allowed to issue tourist visas, but at least they were willing to talk to me)
- mailing my German passport to an expediter in Germany (refused on grounds that you must be physically present in the country to apply)
- mailing my US passport to a US expediter (refused on the grounds that I don't have a current driver's license or utility bills to establish my state residency and was not physically present in the country)
3 x