Turkmenistan transit visa refusals

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
nico

Re: Turkmenistan transit visa refusals

Post by nico »

Hello!
We are a french couple cycling on the silk road. We apply for a Turkmenistan transit visa in Teheran. When we come to pick up our visa this morning the one of my wife was ready but my demand was rejected. We applied together, for the same dates, the same borders, we have the same nationality, we are married... but only her application was accepted... it seems a bit random...
So I'm not sure that Teheran is a best place than Mashad.
Nico
0 x

azidhead

Post by azidhead »

I am waiting for my Uzbek visa in Tehran. These reports are really scary! :shock:
What are the options if we get refused? Ferry from Baku to Kazakhstan or Afghanistan...?

I also read in the LP that a double entry for Uzbekistan is a problem when applying for Turkmen transit visa. I assume this is just the case when coming from Uzbekistan to Iran and not the other way round, correct?

Let us hope the situation improves quickly as well as for China. We were in the embassy today (german, french, belgium) and we all could only get 1 month / 1 month validity starting from today...

Cheers, Flo

@Nico, what are you planning to do now?
0 x

lesmolletsauvages

Post by lesmolletsauvages »

Ok, we are going to apply tomorrow morning and we will try to ask as much questions as possible. If you have some ;)
We though that we will maybe put in the personnal letter that we want to take the bus to the capitale and the train to turkmenabad, in case if it is the bicycle think that is annoying them. Nico, are you in bicycle? What did you put in the letter?
Other questions, if you know
- Do you think it is a problem if our form is handwritten?
- Do you think the "annual income" can have an impact?
- What did you put for "where will you stay in turkmenistan" ? We thought we should put " hostels"
- And at last "name of host/sponsor/contact" we don't have any, shall we put N\A
We are working all the afternoon on this, so don't hesitate to contact, I have sent private messages with our phone to you both.
Good luck
Celine
0 x

lesmolletsauvages

And do you know if it is possible to call the embassies from mashad or Teheran to know by phone if you visa is accepted or rejected.
In order to change you plan if it is rejected and save some time....
Thanks
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

steven wrote:For cars, alternatives are Georgia - Russia - Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan - Russia - Kazakhstan or the boat over the Caspian Baku - Aqtau.

Here some more info on what is possibly the root cause. Tweets by prof. Luca Anceschi

and an article saying the Taliban has taken control over Faryab province bordering Turkmenistan.
http://www.rferl.org/content/afghanista ... 31168.html

Will they invade Turkmenistan? Not likely right now, I think.
Thanks for your reply...
But there is a big problem: I've already my visas for Russia and Uzbekistan and their validity is for my original plan: Iran,Turkmenistan,Uzbekistan,Kazakstan,Russia in this order!
Do you know if I can change the dates for these visas and how (to be Ok for my new route : Georgia,Russia,Kaz,Uzb, and return)
For russia I need also a double entry!
It seems not very easu to do now: I'm arriving in Iran mid August.
Any idea is welcome!
I think Afghanistan (to skip Turkmenistan, from Iran to Uzb.) is not a good idea these days...

RR.
0 x

nico

Post by nico »

Hi!

We are cycling but we didn't mention it. In the letter we've just explained that we were traveling by local transport on the silk road for tourism purpose. You should also mention your dates and border crossing in the letter.
Our forms were handwritten and they took them.
I don't know if the annual income may have an impact, but my wife and I have the same, her application was accepted but not mine.
For "where will you stay in turkmenistan" we put hotels and for "name of host/sponsor/contact" N/A.

The application forms and documents of my wife and I where almost identical (except the names for sure :) ) and it doesn't end the same way. So I have absolutely not idea about how they decide to approve the visa or not. Just try and pray.

Finally we've decided to take a plane from Tehran to Tashkent. There is one direct flight every Friday by Iran Airline. It cost us about 220 euros each. This is the only solution we've found to arrive in time in Uzbekistan (as the Uzbek visa is date specific).

Good luck
Nico
0 x

lesmolletsauvages

ok, and did you find a good compagny for the bicycle? 220 euros was the price with the bicycle?
Did you find a good travel agencie?
We really hesitate if we try it or skip it directly because we dont have same nationality, same name and we are not married, so if you didnt get it both.... what about us....
If you have a phone number I can call you, you can send it by Private message.
Thanks
0 x

nico

Post by nico »

I think you should try. You have nothing to loose. We meet a Swiss couple (also cyclists), they applied the same day as us and they get a 7 days transit visa. So everything is possible.
The bicycles are not included in the price but as far as we understood it should not cost too much. Apparently we must bring them to the airport 2 days in advance.
I will send you my phone by private message if you have any question.
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

"We meet a Swiss couple (also cyclists), they applied the same day as us and they get a 7 days transit visa."
That's a good news!
I think we are going to try as well even if , with a car, it will be difficult to try a B Plan....
BTW, when your application has been refused: when you applied or when you come back to pick-up visa?
If I understand well, you also apllied in Teheran, true?
RR.
0 x

squawkerys

Post by squawkerys »

Well this visa lottery is good Stans fun!

I applied in Dushanbe today hoping to go via Urgench to Turkmenbashi. Btw the consul was very helpful and spoke English. He didn't mention any specific problems but guess I'll need to report back in a week or so if I've been lucky or not.

Good luck to other visa-hunters!
0 x