Embassy report: Russian visa in Almaty

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
tabf2010

Re: Embassy report: Russian visa in Almaty

Postby tabf2010 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:44 am

My girlfriend - a Hungarian citizen - just got a 10-day transit visa in Almaty. We also met 2 French citizens and an Irish citizen at the embassy who got transit visas as well. 14,400 Tenge (35 EUR) for 1-week processing and 28,800 tenge (70 EUR) for 3-4 days.
The consulate is open for visa applications at 9:30-12:30 on Tuesdays and 15:00-17:00 on Fridays. I'm not sure if this is just summer hours or if it will continue throughout the year.

We first tried for a tourist visa in Osh but were immediately denied, being told that we needed a Kyrgyz visa for 91+ days in order to get it. A German citizen was denied a transit visa on the same day in Osh for the same reason, and then he tried to get a long enough visa and wasn't able to. Then we went to Almaty and were denied a tourist visa for the same reason so we resorted to the transit visa. We presented a train ticket to Novosibirsk, and car documents for the journey further by car (the car is currently in Novosibirsk). The ambassador was fine with us mixing two means of transport. We said that we would drive to the Murmansk-Norway border crossing, stopping in Yekaterinburg, Moscow, and Saint Petersburg. He didn't question our stopping in cities that are slightly off of the most direct route.
It seems that the easiest way to get the transit visa is to show car documents (registration and driver's license), because otherwise you have to have train/transport tickets for your entire trip. The car doesn't have to be registered in your name (ours isn't), so if you just want the flexibility of not booking tickets in advance, you can show any car registration and say that you're driving in your friend's/mom's/whoever's car on the longest-possible direct route through Russia. They give 1 day per 500 km up to 10 days, so make a 5000+ km route to ensure yourself a 10-day visa. We were told that a driver's license is required for the visa, but if you don't have a license and want to say you're riding in the car with a friend, it should be possible...we'll ask about that possibility when we pick up the visa on Friday.
2 x

Marijke&Jurjen

Postby Marijke&Jurjen » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:22 pm

@tabf2010 thanks for your post! Would you maybe let us know if your transit visa starts within three days after collecting it or if you can choose the entry date yourself?
0 x

tabf2010

Postby tabf2010 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Marijke&Jurjen wrote:@tabf2010 thanks for your post! Would you maybe let us know if your transit visa starts within three days after collecting it or if you can choose the entry date yourself?

We chose the dates. You can choose on the online application. It starts 3 weeks after collecting it.
0 x

Marijke&Jurjen

Postby Marijke&Jurjen » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:45 am

We (two Dutch people driving a car) successfully applied for 10 day transit visa in Almaty. Opening times and procedure at the consulate were as described in earlier posts. When applying we waited for about 20 minutes and when collecting only 5. We brought:

- filled in application form with one photo glued on (glue can be found in the consulate) (one each)
- copy of our passport
- copy of car registration
- copy and translation of our drivers license (we don't have an international license)
- proof of healthcare insurance

The guy working at the visa desk (window 3) is very friendly and speaks english. We heard people explain why they requested extra days and get these extra days (for example: my car is old and can't drive 500 km per day). They seem to be quite flexible as long as you have a plan and explanation (when you're driving, with trains you need tickets). The guy approves your itinerary and dates right away (or explains why not) and you then pay the fee at a different desk. On your visa only your exit country is stated. They took our passports for the four days, but it's possible to take your passport with you (you'll get a stamp on the page that will be covered by your visa later).

An easy and straightforward process, mostly because of the nice guy working at the consulate.
3 x

nomadichappiness

Postby nomadichappiness » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi, Did somebody experience trouble filling the online form for a transit visa?
The drop down menu doesn't work for filling "purpose of the visit". I filled all other fields and drop down menus and click on next and it fails.
I used Chrome, Firefox 62, IE 10, and it's all the same...
0 x

nomadichappiness

Postby nomadichappiness » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:30 pm

About my last post, I managed to fill the online form using Chrome on another computer, and still not working with IEor Firefox, despite the russian website advising to use those latter ones.
For those interested, I could apply for my russian transit visa in Uralsk instead of Almaty. I'll create a topic about this embassy.
1 x

sylvb74

Postby sylvb74 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am

Hello,

We get our transit visa. For people interested, for travelers in campervan you need:
For each traveler:
- 1 copy of first page passport,
- 1 copy of the exit country visa page (in our case Mongolia)
- 1 form filled (completed from internet and printed before to go to consulate, they dont give blank form; there is a printer service 800m from consulate 40tenge 1 form printed)
- 1 color photo

For driver, to add:
- 1 copy of your national licence driving
- 1 copy of your international driving licence
- 1 copy of car registration card
- 1 copy of your car insurance

For parents:
- 1 attestation of health insurance for the timing of transit

You have to pay in Tenge, 15000 / people.
If you need cash, you have a mastercard/visa bankomat in hospital 50m from consulate.

If your family counts more than 4 people, timing is 1 week to get visa.
Note there is also a secured parking 1km from consulate (I added it on iOverlander).

Best,
2 x
Do it.

Guich&Domi

Postby Guich&Domi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:30 am

We just got a 30-day tourist visa at the Almaty Consulate. Quick and easy!
Here is what you need :
- online form (completed and printed) with a picture (the size of the picture doesn’t matter)
- invitation letter
- insurance
- passport and copy of passport (black and white is fine)
- Plane/train/bus tickets to enter and exit the country (actually we had only tickets to enter the country and they didn’t bother us with tickets to exit...)
- no need for proof of kazakh residency (we are French so they still might ask it for other nationalities, not sure though. There we met a guy from the US and he didn’t need it neither)
Cost : 15000tg (about 35€)
Processing time: one week
0 x

Yokoo5

Postby Yokoo5 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:29 am

Hello.
I am in Almaty, I have a Mongol visa and I need to get a Russian transit visa. I am riding a bike and I am a little lost on the way to have the time necessary to make the 600 km across Russia to go to Mongolia.
I could try the stop if I have few days but it is precarious.
I read all the information on caravanistan.com and normally I'm resourceful (I came by bike from France) but the administration is my worst gap ...
Would there be charitable souls to give me advice?
0 x

davrunaway

Postby davrunaway » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:00 pm

I applied for 3 days transit visa on 6th August 2019 and collected it a week later, 13th August 2019.

I would recommend to be there around 10:15am - 11am (Tuesday) as there will be lesser people.

As I’m holding a Malaysian passport, I had to pay 30,800 tenge (€70) for the transit visa. I’ve only prepared 15,000 tenge and expecting to pay this amount, unfortunately it was double.
I was able to withdrew some money from the ATM in the hospital (beside the embassy).
1 x