Embassy report: Chinese Visa in Yerevan

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Myosotis

Re: Embassy report: Chinese Visa in Yerevan

Post by Myosotis »

Faith is back !

I will try my luck next Tuesday and let you know.

Did you mention any residency in Armenia by completing the online form ?

Thank you so much for both of reports (and sorry for embarrassing questions :D)
0 x

Cyclingdahu

Post by Cyclingdahu »

No, we did not have any residency in Armenia, just the visa.
0 x

merodrem

Post by merodrem »

Cyclingdahu wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:50 am
we were able to collect our tourist visa this morning, without the help of a lawyer!
Ah! I knew it! that lawyer was a scam! I felt that the biggest part of his job was to put my money into his wallet :evil: But it's the chinese consulate who said I had to go through him and gave me his number. I'm angry at him but happy for you!
0 x

bergf

Post by bergf »

Adding to the success stories! I picked up my 1-6-90 visa this afternoon. Below is the process in detail with some important info that has changed since last week.

I filled out the application form by myself a few weeks ago and made an appointment for June 20. After reading about the success with the lawyer, I also got in touch with him. It seemed like the only thing he could offer that I couldn’t get or do by myself was an LOI. While you shouldn’t need one as an independent traveler, I gave it a some thought and eventually decided to get it from him as it couldn’t hurt and I really needed this visa. The process was easy and fast.

Hearing of the success for several people last week has been reassuring. However, I almost didn’t get the visa or the number of days I need. The documents I brought with me to the appointment yesterday were:

- My backup passport (only one stamp in it, the Armenian)
- 2x photos
- Application form (that I filled out - tourist visa for 90 days, multiple entry, 77 days of booked hotels and 80 days between flights)
- AVAS confirmation
- Passport copy
- Travel insurance
- Flight confirmation (Emirates Dubai-Beijing round trip)
- Beijing hotel reservation (Hilton, 30 nights)
- Beijing-Xi'an train timetable with an overnight train highlighted
- Xi'an hotel reservation (Hilton, 23 nights)
- Xi'an-Shanghai train timetable with an overnight train highlighted
- Shanghai hotel reservation (Conrad, 24 nights)
- Shanghai-Beijing train timetable with an overnight train highlighted
- Invitation letter (from the lawyer, stating single entry, 90 days

We were around 10 people at the embassy, and after waiting for about 30 minutes it was my turn. The first thing that happened was that the representative clearly told me that “it is not acceptable to apply for visas here if you are not a resident. You are the last exception, please tell other travelers that they will only be accepted if they are citizens or residents.”

He then quickly looked through my documents, made some changes to my application form and asked me to sign next to them. Specifically, he tried to change:

- 90 days to 60 days
- Multiple entry to single entry
- Validity from 6 months to 3 months

I did not sign, and instead asked why he made the changes and explained that I have 80 days between my flights, and hotel reservations for the nights in between. He simply replied “no, 60 only.” I then continued to question his decision, and told him that the invitation letter stated 90 days. He seemed to have missed that I had an invitation letter at first, and after looking at it he happily said “ok no problem, 90.”

No other questions, he gave me the pickup slip within a few minutes and told me to come back between 2.30-3.30pm the following day. I went to the Armenia Bank and paid the fee, and got a receipt.

I picked up the visa today (single entry, 6 months validity, 90 days). Five other travelers who also applied yesterday and chose express all got their visas.

I wouldn’t call the lawyer a scam, he provided a valid LOI that really saved me since I’m planning to cycle across the country and need 90 days for it. I probably still would’ve gotten a visa without it, but 60 days. However, I think it will be hard or impossible for foreigners to apply in Yerevan from now on. Hopefully it won’t affect that many people since it’s really only us few who left home before March 15, when China started issuing tourist visas again, that are in this special situation.
1 x

Myosotis

Post by Myosotis »

Did the Chinese Visa,
asked a L 2 entries 30 days with

- Loi from a friend for 15 days
- online form (http://cova.mfa.gov.cn/)
- travel insurance
- plane tickets (15 days)
- hotel reservations (15 days)
- OVIR paper saying the visa free rules for Europeans
- Passport printed (French passport with Turkish stamps)

I had no questions, unless if I was resident (I said I was volunteer with the ovir paper), I think you can come any Tuesday regardless your online appointment.
All papers was printed black and white.
Cost was 35k dram, done the next day in the afternoon. No questions at all about the extra 2 weeks and the 2 entries, was smooth and easy, only armenians were working at the consulate.

Safe travels

I know 5 people who've done it last week without any problems
0 x

lucie_alba

Post by lucie_alba »

Myosotis wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:59 am
Did the Chinese Visa,
asked a L 2 entries 30 days with

- Loi from a friend for 15 days
- online form (http://cova.mfa.gov.cn/)
- travel insurance
- plane tickets (15 days)
- hotel reservations (15 days)
- OVIR paper saying the visa free rules for Europeans
- Passport printed (French passport with Turkish stamps)

I had no questions, unless if I was resident (I said I was volunteer with the ovir paper), I think you can come any Tuesday regardless your online appointment.

Hey ! That's great news, thank you for your report. I have my appointment next week, working on getting the LOI through the lawyer. Regarding the OVIR page, did you simply print this with the right passport: https://www.mfa.am/en/visa/ or did you print something else ?

Thank you again :)
0 x

Myosotis

Post by Myosotis »

I mailed the OVIR ([email protected])
But I think it was the same paper (1 page full in armenian)
0 x

lucie_alba

Post by lucie_alba »

Hi all,

Happy to report that I got my Chinese visa in Yerevan *without* the help of the lawyer 🥳 Now I did only get 30 days instead of the 60 I asked for, but considering I don't have residency and didn't have an LOI either I didn't feel in a position to argue back... Maybe a braver soul can 😅

Here's the detail:
1. Filled out the online application form carefully and selected an appointment (end of the process).

2. On the day of the appointment I showed up a bit before 9:00 and was seen at 10:30, quite a few Chinese citizens were there too and they go first, did not bother me. Maybe get there a bit earlier if you can, I took a taxi, pretty cheap.

3. The supporting documents I had:
- Return flight tickets (fully refundable, I will enter by land instead)
- Accomodation bookings for the whole stay (Trip.com, did not need to pay anything for the bookings)
- Travel insurance certificate
- Copy of passport ID page
- Copy of passport page with the Armenian entry stamp
- 2 photo IDs
That's it, no letter of invitation (quoted 200€ by the lawyer!), no train timetables, no OVIR rules. Also to note I had 4 Turkish stamps (in and out twice) and it didn't seem to be a problem at all.

4. I was not asked anything about residency. I was seen by a nice Armenian lady who went through the supporting documents, and another Armenian man was also checking the application. He looked a bit annoyed but she seemed to calm him down... He's the one who crossed my 60 days request and put 30 days instead. This is probably where the LOI could've helped, but the cost just wasn't worth it for me. I was asked to sign next to the changed number of days. As I asked for the express application I was told to come back the next day between 14:30 and 15:30, and was given a pickup slip.

5. Went to pay the fee at Ameria bank, with the express procedure it was 26,000 AMD.

6. The next day I came back with the pickup slip and the slip given by the bank. My visa is single entry and 3 months validity, as asked, with 30 days instead of 60 in the country.

That's it! No extra lawyer fees 👀 Any questions let me know, good luck!
1 x

Siberiade

Post by Siberiade »

I’m excited to be able to share my own update.

I’m an American who lives in the UK. I set off my trip (six month sabbatical) at the beginning of July. I wasn’t able to get a Chinese visa in London due to a combination of needing a new American passport and necessary business trips.

After striking out in Bucharest and Chisinau, I took the advice of this thread and went to Yerevan.

I applied and got an appointment online the week before. I went to the embassy with the following:

– Printed application
– Flight reservations (entering and leaving)
– Hotel reservation for my stay
– Copy of passport photo page and page with entry stamp
– Two photos (48mm x 33mm)

I waited a bit at the centre (they are open from in the morning on Tuesdays and Thursday). A very nice woman looked at my documents; they were expecting me and already had reviewed my application.

We spoke in Russian, but they speak English as well. They were very nice!

I was given a slip to pay the fee at a local bank and got the visa the next day during a one-hour window.

I was expecting a single-entry visa based on this thread, but they said a multi-entry wouldn’t be a problem. And each entry is a maximum of 60 days.

Cost was 75,000 dram (£150).

Considering I was quoted in London £500 for a slower service, this seems like a great deal.

(One further note: I originally went to the lawyer mentioned above. We spoke in English and then Russian. He wasn’t terribly helpful and said he would have to arrange residency for me in order to apply.)

As is becoming increasingly clear, Yerevan is a great choice.

– You do it directly
– Express service is available
– They aren’t fussed about resident status

Good luck to everyone doing this on the road.
1 x

jubohe

Post by jubohe »

Hi all !

Happy to share that we also got our visa from Yerevan. It was the easiest process ever (no LOI, no residency…). They literally just asked us for :

- printed application
- 2 pictures
- hotel bookings
- airplane ticket to and from (we took our fake ones via bestonwardtravel).

We asked for an express one and got it the following day for 26 000 AMD.

Hope this helps !
1 x