Possible to use Turkmen+Uzbek transit visas Iran>Kyrgyzstan?

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
twowheelredinski
Supporter
Supporter

Possible to use Turkmen+Uzbek transit visas Iran>Kyrgyzstan?

Post by twowheelredinski »

Hi there,

I am currently cycling through Iran on a tourist visa/Australian passport.

Does anyone know if you can get both Turkmen + Uzbek transit visas to get to Kyrgyzstan (where I am eligible for a visa on arrival).

I am mindful you need proof of onward travel for an Uzbek transit visa, but since I am cycling and can get a visa on arrival in Kyrgyzstan, I am unsure what proof I can offer.

I hope to apply for a Tajik visa in Kyrgyzstan before catching a flight somewhere closer to the equator (~Nov).

Many thanks in advance for any insights.

Much appreciated,
b. redinski
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Possible to use Turkmen+Uzbek transit visas Iran>Kyrgyzs

Post by steven »

Yes, that should be possible, first get the Uzbek visa and then the Turkmen. Just say you don't need a visa for Kyrgyzstan, in my experience they understand.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

But why not get a proper Uzbek visa? With transit visas you'll have a maximum of 10 days—and more likely 8—to go from Iran to Kyrgyzstan, and only 72 hours in Uzbekistan. This seems insane to me. And then going to Tajikistan after Kyrgyzstan means you'll have to go all the way up to Bishkek, and then all the way back down again.

Uzbekistan on a tourist visa, followed by Tajikistan and then Kyrgyzstan makes a lot more sense to me.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

It's expensive to get a Uzbek visa, i assume this is the reason.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Tourist visa isn't that much more (think (s)he is Australian), and I think it's probably false economy if using a transit visa requires going all the way to Bishkek only to backtrack to the Ferghana Valley and into Tajikistan (and then have to fly out of Dushanbe, which is probably more expensive than Bishkek or Almaty).
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Your argument makes sense, bwv812. Australians do need the LOI, so that's an extra cost rather than just the visa.
0 x

twowheelredinski
Supporter
Supporter

Post by twowheelredinski »

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies.

Any additional input is very welcome.
My reasons for breezing through Uzbekistan is I find the registration policy really off-putting. There's enough red tape to get into the country (onward travel, LOI) that I don't want to be chasing hotels while in the country, especially since I much prefer wild camping.

I'm also cognisant of time and that the weather deteriorates rapidly in November so thought it would be better to cycle southward to amelerioate the decreasing temperature. That said, I've not researched the Kyrgyz/Tajik climate thoroughly so again, any input would be welcome.

The other option would be to fly from Iran to Bishkek but I think I will enjoy the dash across Turkmenistan—I also like to avoid air travel where possible. My bicycle and wallet, and maybe even the sky, are better off for it.

Thanks again.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are largely desert and at low altitude, and will be much warmer than mountainous Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.

Even if you do get a transit visa, it would be much better use of time to get a Tajik visa beforehand and transit to Tajikistan.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Obviously, it's gonna be cold in the mountains. See this topic for winter cycling tips: http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1196 and http://caravanistan.com/forum/viewtopic ... 167&p=3803

For registration, it's often really not possible for cyclists to register in time, and so people don't do it in time. They get away with it. Just don't ask to be registered when you are not staying somewhere, and try to register daily in Ferghana Valley.

If you are coming from Turkmenistan, I can recommend the dash towards Bukhara and then onwards to Tajikistan at the Denau - Tursunzade border. A good route for cyclists that takes in the most interesting old city (in my view) - you have already seen a lot in Iran - and then heads into some of the best wild scenery of Uzbekistan, very different from the plains.
0 x