Russian and Kazakh 2-3 month visas ( cycling ).

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
levelo

Russian and Kazakh 2-3 month visas ( cycling ).

Post by levelo »

Hi everyone,

I am prepping for my new long bike ride from Western Europe to Central Asia.
Being a slow traveler I need visas for Russia and Kazakhstan that would allow me to stay in each country for at least 2 months.

The Russian business visa allows for stays of up to 3 months and is also valid for 3 months, which means that I think I can apply from home ( France ) and still have enough time to reach the Russian border before the visa expires.
Getting the letter of invitation for the business visa seems pretty straightforward, correct ?
Is the process long ?

I have been looking at old posts on this forum regarding the Kazakh visa.
Has anyone recently applied for a 2-month ( business ? ) visa ?
I have read that when issued they are valid for one year, which would totally work for me.
Where can I get a lead for an invitation letter ?
Do I absolutely have to apply in my home country or can I give it a shot while on the road in, say, Moscow ?

Best,

Levelo.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Russian and Kazakh 2-3 month visas ( cycling ).

Post by steven »

I don't know about the Kazakh visa. I personally would not bother with it, now that it is so easy to do border hops with both Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. 3 visa-free countries.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

levelo

Post by levelo »

Thanks for your input Steven but I sort of dislike interrupting my rides ( I would consider a border hop as a very last resort ).
I'd rather get a 2 or 3 month visa beforehand.
I just visited a visa agency here in France.
They did a bit of searching and found out that a B13 Kazakh visa would be an option.
It is basically a tourist visa valid for a stay of up to 3 months in Kazakhstan. Supposedly I don't need a letter of invitation to apply but I do have to write a letter to the Consul explaining why I want to visit Kazakhstan for more than the regular 30 days.
I will obviously have to let him know that I will be riding across ( something I refrain from saying whenever I apply for difficult visas ) and sugarcoat the whole thing...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I do believe a B13 visa only allows 30 consecutive days in the country. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't there is a visa that allows more than 30 conssecutive days in the country outside of a private visa.

I think it's this one, right: https://caravanistan.com/visa/kazakhstan/#visa-types
0 x

levelo

Post by levelo »

I just checked on the list of visas you provide and you are right :-).
A B13 visa is actually basically a transit visa. So much for the Visa Agency !
A B12 is a tourist visa ( the requirement for a letter of invitation is waved for most nationalities ). The visa is good for 30 days in KZ and valid for 90 days. Of no use for me.
The only visas that could work are :
-B1. Business visa, requires " note verbale " ( ?) and invitation. Can be multiple entries, valid for one year and good for stays up to 60 days.
-B10 Private visa. Can be multiple entries, valid for 180 days and good for stays up to 90 days. Note verbale and invitation required.
Are there agencies in KZ or elsewhere that provide letters of invitation for such visas ?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Try Stantours for a LOI
0 x

levelo

Post by levelo »

Thanks Steven.
0 x