Afghan tourist visa in Geneva

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Afghan tourist visa in Geneva

Post by Crazydre »

Just got an Afghan tourist visa from the embassy in Geneva (Swedish passport with Swiss residence Permit).

Normally applications can only be made in person, but as I live in Zurich and not Geneva they agreed to let me post it, though it had to be sent by registered mail. They told me to expect the visa within about a month from sending it (making me terribly grateful that I dealt with this well in advance).

I sent my passport along with the application form, two passport photos (35x45 mm), my bank Statement proving I paid the visa fee (CHF 80), a colour copy of my residence Permit booklet, and a letter from my University stating the Duration and Motive of my stay.

In short, it was the same rules as stated on the embassy's webite, except I did not have to travel to Geneva (which it says you do) and had to send my residence Permit (which is not listed)

To my surprise, I got the letter with my passport and visa (single-entry, 30 days) only two weeks (even though they said a month) after sending the application.

Looking Forward to Kabul next month :D
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Afghan tourist visa in Geneva

Post by steven »

Be sure to report back! Always interested to read what's new in Afghanistan. One tip from a recent traveler: don't stay in hotels, do couchsurfing only. He had to stay in a guesthouse 1 night for extending his visa and said he felt quite unsafe, as his cover was useless there (he was disguised as a deaf-mute Afghan).
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

steven wrote:Be sure to report back! Always interested to read what's new in Afghanistan. One tip from a recent traveler: don't stay in hotels, do couchsurfing only. He had to stay in a guesthouse 1 night for extending his visa and said he felt quite unsafe, as his cover was useless there (he was disguised as a deaf-mute Afghan).
I'm a Budget traveller and so normally always go for as cheap rooms as possible. Looked into the Salsal Guesthouse ($10/night) and when asking the embassy they could highly recommend it in Terms of safety as that one had "virtually no foreigners in it"

They did say I shouldn't walk around in the Lobby, just in case, but simply go straight to my room once I went there
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I have one more question: How long was the validity on your visa? 3 months before entry? Or 6 months?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

It was for a single entry within 3 months, Duration of stay 30 days.

3 months seems to be common in Europe (a British friend of mine who went there says it's the same in London, although the Duration of stay there is 60 days)
1 x