Visa on Arrival at IRAN

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Visa on Arrival at IRAN

Post by Crazydre »

Hm, the only time in my life (and I travel a lot outside the EU) was when entering Moldova by Train from Romania, and only because the guard found me, a lone 20-year old male traveller, super sketchy.

To be really really REALLY sure, just buy a refundable ticket as a "token" and cancel it later
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I am not as super-confident as Crazydre on the whole thing, but so far, no one has reported needing a return ticket, and no one has reported being refused a VOA for whatever reason. Does not mean it has not happened or will not happen in the future, but it is a good sign.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

Didn't say the risk of being asked was non-existent - however I'd be extremely surprised if anyone was refused entry solely based on that.

And as I said, in the worst case, say in the case of an officer who just feels like being an asshole, a refundable token ticket does the trick. Because that way you at least have something.

The one time I was asked for a return ticket (out of Moldova), I simply said I had a flight out of Chisinau with Wizz Air two days later but didn't have a printout (but did know the booking code). He was more than satisfied with it...and I must say Moldova are pretty tough in their checks.

Even with South Africa, who strictly requires a return ticket for visa-free visitors entering (otherwise a hefty deposit has to be paid), it's more than sufficient to take a note of the booking code in practice.
1 x

yuutv

Post by yuutv »

hi everyone,
how about land border between Turkmenistan and Iran border?
can we get visa on arrival?

thanks
Yuu
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

No.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

Who the heck knows, as far as we knew you couldn't get it at any land border. Wouldn't Count on it though, as there've been no anecdotal reports of it
0 x

yun

Post by yun »

Hi guys,

I am thinking of doing an overland travel from Iran to Turkmenistan and have a few questions which I hope to get advice on.

1) Understand Visa for Iran is needed for the application of a Turkmenistan Transit Visa. Will a Visa on Arrival count in this case?
2) Is it possible I fly into Iran, get VoA, go to Turkey first and re-enter Iran again?

Thanks all
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

1) They don't generally ask to see the visa of the country you're coming from: they want to see the visa of the country you'll be exiting to.
2) Not sure I understand. You can leave Iran and re-enter, but you'll need a new visa to re-enter.
0 x

yun

Post by yun »

Dear bwv812,

Ok, so that means Uzbekistan Visa is of utmost importance :)

Referring to (2), that would mean I better get a multiple entry Visa for Iran instead of a VoA should I plan to visit Turkey and return back to Iran.

Thank you for the clarification!
0 x

TomR.

Post by TomR. »

Entered into Iran at IKA in July 2016. Did not need any papers, photos, LOI, visa authorization code, return flights and so on. Just fill the tiny, provided form. They did ask for your sponsor in Iran (Name, phone number, no adress). Visa fees increased recently. For Germans is either 85,-US$ or 75,-€.
Last edited by TomR. on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x