Visa on Arrival at IRAN

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Visa on Arrival at IRAN

Postby steven » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Crazydre wrote:I am Swedish, but with an Iranian father. Thus, according to Iranian law, I'm an Iranian citizen (which I found out on the web in February), and I don't know whether my father registered me with the embassy in Stockholm (he might have, since he kept trying to bring me to Iran by means of abduction when I was a kid).

If I were to try entering and they'd discover me, the consequences would be more than dire for me.

So this really only applies to Iran, and not the Middle East in General (in fact I've been to Beirut and Amman)

Wow, that's quite a story!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

carabruan

Postby carabruan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Update October 2015:
We just visited Iran the second time this year. It is very easy now to
apply for visa by arrival at the international airports (we checked Tehran
and Shiraz). We (swiss citizens) and obviously also all other nations,
except americans, get now a visa for 30 days. First one buys the health
insurance policy (per person U$ 18) at one counter and then on the second
counter, the visa will be issued as soon as the fee is paid. The fee was 60
euro per person. Even we are swiss, we were asked to pay the fee in euro,
but if one does not have any euro, it is also possible to pay it in U$
(same amount!), It took us about 30 minutes to get the visa.
1 x

pangea

Postby pangea » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello,
We read that we could now ask for a VOA for 30 days. But some travel agencies said that it is only a political declaration and not real in facts. Did someone obtained it for 30 days? We will fly to Teheran from Baku.
Do we need a return ticket? (Also read different versions and we only trust caravanistan!)
Many thanks.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:09 pm

The person who posted just above you said they got a 30-day VoA, so I'd say it isn't just theoretical.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

MMAN

Postby MMAN » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi there,
We, Swiss couple, got a VoA for 30 days at Tehran airport for EUR 50/person earlier this month (Apr-16). We were flying from Istanbul. We could provide a certificate of private insurance and therefore didn't have to pay for the USD 18 extra. Once you've reached the immigration office, ask the officer for a form and fill it in. On the form, they ask for a return flight reference but didn't ask to see the actual plane ticket, it is also requested to provide the name of the hotel (and contact details) where you will stay in Tehran (or elsewhere). Please note we didn't have any booking on our arrival, we just applied one of the hotel details we found in our travel guide. Once the form is completed, return it back to the counter and the officer will let you know the amount to pay. We paid 100 EUR in total to the next counter and gave the proof of payment back to the officer. The whole process took about 50 min. and I must stay they were quite friendly.
3 x

Travelphernalia

Postby Travelphernalia » Mon May 09, 2016 11:23 am

Hello! Here's our experience with the VOA in Emmam Khoumeni (Tehran's International Airport).
- The process end to end took 1.5hrs as there were two flights coming in.
- We provided evidence of International medical insurance at the counter were they stamp it and you no longer have to pay $18usd
- In our forms we didn't write down any information of onward flights and it was not requested
- We were staying with Couchsurfing people so we put down their address and number. The immigration officers did call them even when it was 5am!
- The price for the visas are quoted in Euro's and if you want to pay in USD they use a conversion rate.

Irish passport: 75€
Mexican passport: 45€ >> $55USD

We were given 30day visa.

We didn't need photos, onward flights nor Verification code letter.

Very easy and staff are really friendly.
3 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Fri May 13, 2016 11:28 pm

What I can guarantee is: ANYONE who says a photo or pre-approval code is needed is pain WRONG!

As for the return flight confirmation and Hotel booking, it really isn't set in Stone, and mostly depends on the whims of the officers on the day. In practice, if you're exiting overland it should be enough to say it, maybe also explain your itinerary in Detail.
2 x

mpkz
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mpkz » Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Just an FYI on the onward flight:

Timatic, which is the visa system most airlines use to check whether passengers have the required documentation, has the following:
Certain Visa regulations apply as follows:
Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry.

You may be denied boarding or forced to purchase an onward ticket by the airline if the agent you encounter has just read this and doesn't know much about individual cases. I'm still 50:50 on whether to purchase an onward ticket.

On another note: Applying for a Turkmenistan transit visa (Iran -> Turkmenistan -> Uzbekistan), will I be required to have an Iranian visa ready? i.e. would I need to get a visa in advance. I know I need the Uzbek visa, but since I can enter Iran visa-free...
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Postby Crazydre » Mon May 16, 2016 4:03 pm

It says "Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry." for pretty much any country where you aren't a citizen or otherwise have a right to stay unconditionally. Doesn't mean the Airline will deny you Boarding or the Immigration officers refuse entry (there are a few countries that do actively require a booking confirmation for visa-free visitors, such as South Africa and Vietnam). In that case, I would literally have been refused entry/borading about a hundred times by now, because I never have a printout of the booking confirmation in hand.

Obviously since you can get a VOA for Iran (visa-free? What's your nationality?) you should just explain it to the Turkmen embassy, possibly with an official document as a source if they're ignorant and require it
Last edited by Crazydre on Mon May 16, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

mpkz
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mpkz » Mon May 16, 2016 4:04 pm

I meant VOA. And I've been asked for tickets out of countries before at airports. Never had a problem with saying "overland", but that doesn't mean an agent might not stop you.
0 x