Visa registration in Astana: only 10 days?!

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
marieetolivier

Visa registration in Astana: only 10 days?!

Post by marieetolivier »

Hi all,

We hold French passports and are traveling in Kazakhstan on a double entry tourist visa. We arrived 3 weeks ago in Aktau from the Caspian ferry but didn't register there since we were staying for less than 5 days. By the way the registration office there is a mess , it took our friends a whole day of waiting there to finally get it. We re-entered Kazakhstan from Russia a few days ago and set up to register in Astana. We showed up at migration police last Friday at 12 and they told us that they couldn't do it (even though they were open in the afternoon) and to come back on Monday.

So we went back there today at 9:30. The whole process was extremely quick : 15 minutes! BUT the lady there told us that they could only register us for a maximum of 10 days, that we had to register again elsewhere afterwards. We were extremely surprised since we've always read that you only have to register once, for the length of your visa. But however much we insisted, she wouldn't hear anything and gave us 10 days. So now we end up having the circular blue stamp on the bottom left corner of our registration card, but the blanks for dates below it are hand filled "29/07/2013 to 08/08/2013"... There was also a German traveler there who told us before we collected our passports: "They only give you 10 days here".

So does anyone know if this is a new idiosyncrasy of the Astana migration office? Has this happened to anyone before? This is the first time we hear of multiple registration in Kazakhstan. We are planning to stay beyond August 8. Do you recommend that we go over again through the same mess, say in Almaty? Or leave our migration card the way it is for exiting the country, even though 29/07/2013 - 08/08/2013 is written on it?

Thanks for your inputs, and people registering in Astana, beware!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Visa registration in Astana: only 10 days?!

Post by steven »

Never heard of this, I think it is only for Astana. I will definitely advice people to not register there.

Best to re-do the registration in Almaty then to be safe. It only takes 15 minutes in Almaty as well nowadays.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

BattlePanda

Post by BattlePanda »

Hello

We had the same experience in Astana. 2 New Zealand travellers with 30 day visas valid through to 13 August - but only given 7 days registration on our migration cards.

Other travellers we met had no problem in Almaty, but the process took 3 hours.The end result was that we couldn't be bothered with having to re-register in Almaty, so we raced through Kazakhstan and exited on the last valid day of our registration.

Penny and Igor
0 x

kalonao

Post by kalonao »

Hello,
We faced the same situation: we registered our visa in Oskemein, and got only 10 days. We realised it the day we wanted to fly out from Almaty airport... Immigration did not let us through, and our flight left without us. We had to go to the immigration office in Almaty and pay a fine ( 17 000 T each)... Make sure you are registered for 30 days!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Terrible.

Thank you for letting us know, I updated the article to warn others.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

NucMed

Post by NucMed »

steven wrote:Terrible.

Thank you for letting us know, I updated the article to warn others.
Hi Steven, after reading the above account of 10 day registrations only in Ust-Kamenogorsk, I rushed to check mine done yesterday.

It appears to be from 06/12/2013 until 04/01/2014, so exactly 30 days.

The OVIR office I attended was 152-154 Kabanbay Batyr Street (on the northern side of the street) reached either by tram 70 or bus (bus 17 or 46, probably others as well) along Kazakhstan Street and get off at Green Bazaar opposite Kaztelecom (Kaztelecom is on the northwestern corner of Kazakhstan Street and Kabanbay Batyr Street).

Get onto the same side of the street as Kaztelecom and walk for about 250 metres, you will pass the police station and the OVIR office is next door up some stairs and through a three sets of doors.

Registration took about an hour, mainly because the officer, despite his high rank, was pretty clueless as to what was required.

I am Australian, not sure whether this makes any difference though.

I understand there are other OVIR offices in Ust-Kamenogorsk too, although I do not know the addresses, but another one is also reached by bus 17, just over the Ulba River.

I was interested to read that some can keep their registration card and just present it each time. I've not had this experience, they have always taken my cards from me regardless of visa type.

Cheers, Peter
0 x