Leaving a car in multiple countries

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
nomaden

Leaving a car in multiple countries

Post by nomaden »

happy new year caravanistas

We are two members of the Adventurers club of Denmark, planning a new vehicle driven expedition to Hong Kong through caucasus and central asia.
where we have enjoyed long biketrips before :-)

We will leave this year(2023), The vehicle is registered in Denmark and will be full insured.

Instead of a continuous flow where we do the route in one go, we will divide the journey into 5 stages, each 4-5 week’s in duration
This means that intention is to leave our van at a location where our stage ends - 4 locations, before we get to Hongkong and ship the vehicle back, if its still alive ;-).

Stages is following:
2023 Copenhagen , along the eastern boundaries, through Turkey, into Georgia - leaving the van in Tblisi.
2024 Tblisi, through Georgia, Adserbajdan, Georgia, Armenia and into Iran - leaving the van in Tehran
2025 Teheran - through Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kirgistan. - Leaving the van in Osh Kirgistan
2026 Osh ( kashagar) - Through China to to Hongkong.

Questions
Answers to below will be fabulous, and we will as we move on next year support the forums as much as we can

I see through the forum, different experiences with leaving a car for a longer period though most post has some years on the back

so
- it seems that it is/could be possible to leave a car in Georgia for a period up to 12 months. before heading on. Any newer experience with this?
- Could it be possible to leave a car in Iran for a period up to 12 months. before heading on. Any newer experience with this?
- Could it possibly be possible to leave a car in Kirgistan for up to 12 month before heading on. Any newer experience with this?

Adventurous regards
Søren
0 x

PeterM

Re: Leaving a car in multiple countries

Post by PeterM »

Hi Sören,

a) if you enter Georgia, you are allowed to let the car for up to 90 days in the country. Not more. You must do a temporary import of your car if you want to leave the car for more than 90 days. (Someone wrote that he did it in this forum)
b) Iran:
You need a carnet de passage for Iran. Normally, you can leave the car in Iran as long as the Carnet is still valid when you exit.

Peter
0 x

nomaden

Post by nomaden »

Thanks Peter, for your reply!
0 x

cristiano

Post by cristiano »

Georgia should be 90 days, as Peter wrote
Best plan B in the area can be Armenia: 12 months

Kyrgyzstan can be 12 months: just check the document at the border, and ask for 12 months if they give you less
1 x

nomaden

Post by nomaden »

Hey Cristiano,

Thanks for the feedback, details are very valuable

As to Armenia and Kyrgyzstan, any formal rule related to this , eg. the custom union mentioned below, that we should double check or should we just relate on it will work?

In a post from 2017, You wrote following:

"Re: Leaving car in Krygyzstan for 1 year
Post by cristiano » Fri May 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Kyrgyzstan is part of custom union with Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and Armenia.
When you will enter Kyrgyzstan from Tajikistan, you will be given temporary import papers.
You shoulk ask to the guard at the border to make them valid 12 months (it is legal).
In 12 months you will need to be out not only from Kyrgyzstan, but from all of custom union countries.

No problem flying out and coming back".

Lets say we park the car in Armenia jerevan in 23, drive through iran and find a solution as to Iran in 24. driving through Turkm. to Bishkek Kyrgyzstan in 25. Would it be a problem to leave the car there with ref. to "In 12 months you will need to be out not only from Kyrgyzstan, but from all of custom union countries".

Warm regards

Søren
0 x

cristiano

Post by cristiano »

Hi Søren
When I wrote "In 12 months you will need to be out not only from Kyrgyzstan, but from all of custom union countries" I intended that, as an example, if you enter Kyrgyzstan in january 23 and plan to leave through Kakakstazn to Russia and then to Mongolia, you have to reach Mongolia in the 12 months between january 23 and january 24, as Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia are all part of the union.

If you exit the custom union, as an example, to Uzbekistan, and you re-enter (let's say Kazakhstan) the 12 months restart from the day you re-enter the union.
Hope it is more clear now.

I have a friend who exited last summer (Kyrgyzstan to Uzbekistan), re-entered (Uzbekistan to Kazakhstan), managed to ship his bike to Azerbaigian, crossed to Georgia and now stored it in Armenia.
You can find his page on FB as Brighty's Jollys

cristiano
0 x

nomaden

Post by nomaden »

That makes sense!
Thanks

If a y out there knows more about the options for Iran please chip in

What a great forum,

Søren
0 x

ste2083

Post by ste2083 »

Good evening, I would like to park my car in Armenia for about 4 months, can someone give me some contacts to find a parking space. Thank you
0 x

Overlander1976

Post by Overlander1976 »

Camping 3GS-perfect Place
0 x

ste2083

Post by ste2083 »

Thanks, I've already tried to contact 3GS, but I haven't had an answer. I wanted to know if there is a need to book or if they always have space?
0 x