Chinese Visa for Khunjerab Pass to Qolma Pass

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
connormacleod

Chinese Visa for Khunjerab Pass to Qolma Pass

Post by connormacleod »

Hi there,

I'm a kiwi cyclist that will be flying into Pakistan in May, where ill be biking through the KKH into China, then spending as minimal time there before I enter Tajikistan via Qolma pass. I've looked everywhere, and cant figure out what Visa people get on for China for such short duration?

Also if anyone has recently cycle toured through the stans or all the way into Europe, please reach out, I need help :roll:
0 x

rsze

Re: Chinese Visa for Khunjerab Pass to Qolma Pass

Post by rsze »

Transit visa are only applicable for airport transits, so I guess you would need a regular tourist visa. As far as I know, China opened its borders on January 8, 2023, but is so far not issuing tourist visa.

Furthermore, Turkmenistan is closed and Azerbaijan's land borders are closed as well. I am not sure how this would influence a potential ferry trip from Kazkhstan to Azerbaijan. And if that is not already enough, the border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is closed too because of border clashes.

Not the best time to cycle around Central Asia. :-(
0 x

danto1

Post by danto1 »

connormacleod wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:32 am
Hi there,

I'm a kiwi cyclist that will be flying into Pakistan in May, where ill be biking through the KKH into China, then spending as minimal time there before I enter Tajikistan via Qolma pass. I've looked everywhere, and cant figure out what Visa people get on for China for such short duration?

Also if anyone has recently cycle toured through the stans or all the way into Europe, please reach out, I need help :roll:
i am also intersted in this. been thinking to do the same route.
anyone has new infos on transit Visa for China?
0 x

Ausmax

Post by Ausmax »

We’re also actively seeking a Chinese visa to drive from Pakistan Khunjerab pass to Kyrgystan in June. No tourist visas available yet. Transit visa is for 72 hrs airport arrival only. . We meet our vehicle in India next week so will be crossing our fingers for a change in the visa rules once we get our India leg underway. At this stage we will need to fly back to Australia once the visa comes available as it can only be issued in country of origin due to Chinas new biometric ID rules. There is also a 4-6 week wait to get a booking at the embassy for any type of China visa. We were advised to make an online application for another visa type and appointment booking then keep moving the appointment until the tourist visa is avail. :?
0 x
Two Australians in our Toyota Troopy camper travelling overland from Melbourne 🇦🇺 to London 🇬🇧 In 2023. ausmaxoverland.com

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

Planning to do the same in anout a month, from Tajikistan to Pakistan. I’ve read that china resumed all their visas, but the transit visa thing is still too vague, doesn’t seem to apply for this part.

Would anyone know of where to contact the right authorities to check this?

Plus if it should be a normal visa, would anyone have info on this? (And if it’s a normal visa anyways, is there anything else fun to see in that mountainous corridor?
Also wondering how strict they are with arrival and leaving dates when you apply for a visa. Bc I’d like yo travel with a flexible agenda, wouldn’t want to stress to be on the border at one exact day.
0 x

Ruby-Black

Post by Ruby-Black »

TheNonFlyingDutchman wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:11 am
Planning to do the same in anout a month, from Tajikistan to Pakistan. I’ve read that china resumed all their visas, but the transit visa thing is still too vague, doesn’t seem to apply for this part.

Would anyone know of where to contact the right authorities to check this?

Plus if it should be a normal visa, would anyone have info on this? (And if it’s a normal visa anyways, is there anything else fun to see in that mountainous corridor?
Also wondering how strict they are with arrival and leaving dates when you apply for a visa. Bc I’d like yo travel with a flexible agenda, wouldn’t want to stress to be on the border at one exact day.

OK so... I'm trying to figure out the China visa thing too, and have dug around in some resources (including my local China embassy, and the Carivanistan guide https://caravanistan.com/visa/china/).
Here is how I understand it. The standard tourist visa is an 'L' visa, and is for a 30 day period. Do not mention border crossings to your embassy/in your visa applications. You basically need to create a fully refundable fake itinerary that shows air travel tickets both in and out of the country, as well as either a) a letter of invitation from a tour company or b) bookings for accommodation for the duration of the stay. I think the second one is easier. Once you have sent this proof of booking in with your visa application, you can set about getting refunded for the flights etc. When you get your visa, it should not mention port of entry so you can just use it to cross the border.

The part I am unclear on is dates. From my (very foggy) memory of my travel to China 10 years ago, at the time, the visa also did not contain specific dates - rather, you had to enter the country within 3 months of your visa being approved. I think this may still be the case but that information is hard to find on the embassy website for some reason. I think I may email.

I suggest emailing your country's China embassy for any clarity but once again... don't mention you want to cross through the border. Just pretend like you'll be flying in and out like any other tourist. Hope that helps.

Re. fun stuff in the area... well, there's a tonne of cool stuff around, though from reports of people traveling overland, Xinjiang is not the most pleasant to be in right now given the political climate (it is basically a police state). Most people seem to get in and out as soon as they can, with perhaps a day or 2 in Kashgar to check out the city. I'm still debating with myself if I want to optimise the opportunity to at least check some things out or if I just want to pass through.
1 x

danto1

Post by danto1 »

anyone obtained the visa yet and can share more information?
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

I will apply this week in Almaty for a chinese visa. Looking at my chinese visa from 2017, I can confirm that there’s no strict entry date. Mine days:
CHINESE VISA CATEGORY L
Enter before: 24OCT2017
Issue date: 24JUL2017
Entries: 1
Duration of each stay: 25 days after entry

These 25 days may be due to yhe booking I applied with and might’ve been 30 days when booked differently. I forgot the details.
0 x

Fahd

Post by Fahd »

It was ok to apply for Chinese visa even if you don’t live in Kazakhstan?
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Fahd wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:55 am
It was ok to apply for Chinese visa even if you don’t live in Kazakhstan?
Not sure yet, will visit tomorrow morning. I read all these problematic stories about the embassies in almaty, bishkek, tashkent and not yet dushanbe but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the same.
So if anyone has some wise words on how to obtain a chinese visa otherwise, that’d be highly appreciated.

Also if anyone has recommendations for visa-flight booking on a trustable website, please share!
0 x