Central Asia visa - Australian passports

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
kasm

Central Asia visa - Australian passports

Post by kasm »

We are travelling to Central Asia in a couple of weeks and this forum was so helpful with visas that I wanted to provide information on my experience.

Kazakhstan embassy in Singapore - we got our visa through that embassy by sending passports through DHL. They were very helpful, responded to all emails and even phoned me in Australia to answer my questions. The fee was usd 25 plus money transfer costs and they processed the visa in less than one week. No LoI but we do not need one as Australians

Tajikistan embassy in Belgium - we got our visa and GBAO permit through that embassy by sending passports through DHL. They responded to emails (most of the time), the fee was euro 65 without LoI (euro 25 with a LoI) plus euro 25 for GBAO permit plus money transfer costs. Their website says 7-10 days to process but they processed ours in 2 days.

Iran embassy in Canberra - do not answer emails, and seem very busy because they do not answer the phone or the phone is always busy. Also they do not speak English very well. We got a 15 day visa valid 3 months (we had requested a 30 day visa) without LoI or any reference number by applying directly to them through the post but the one time they called they told us we should have a LoI and if applying without a LoI we risk maybe not getting the visa. As a female, I covered my hair and neck in the visa photo.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Central Asia visa - Australian passports

Post by steven »

Thanks! Will make a section for Australians on the site, I can see the point of it!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

pagophilus

Post by pagophilus »

Regarding the Iranian embassy in Canberra, admittedly this was back in 2009, but we had applied for MFA approval via Key2Persia. I decided to visit the embassy personally with my wife (because they did not answer phones or reply to emails and because I didn't know how much my wife's visa was going to cost on her non-Australian passport, and because we live only 5 hours away). We applied for a 20-day stay from the MFA, but when we got to the embassy and presented the application forms, eventually the official came back and asked me if we had applied for 20 days, as the MFA had only approved 14 days. I told him that we had applied for 20 days. So he went away again and came back with 20-day visas in our passports.

Overall the staff were very friendly and helpful, just like Iranian people in general. I was surprised that they overrode the MFA's approval. (I presume the MFA were reticent to hand out visas covering the election period, which was approaching at the time.)

A question - does the Iranian embassy enforce the health insurance requirements as mentioned on their websites? Do they check that you have insurance?
0 x

spgmr

Post by spgmr »

KASM-

Thanks for you post.

I am in Australia and am contemplating getting a Kazakh visa in Singapore also.

I called DHL today and they quoted $245 to send my passport to Singapore and return.

Does that sound right?
0 x

kasm

Post by kasm »

I went through Pack and Send in North Ryde (near my work) they did not charge me that much and they consign to DHL anyway. You can get a quote off the pack and send website. I paid a little bit more that the website because the guy I userd (Steve) at pack and send collected the passports from me and packaged up the return DHL envelope and made all the arrangements - the extra $30 or so was worth it.
0 x

kasm

Post by kasm »

Uzbek visa. We got a LOI through stantours US$40, they were very efficient and helpful. We collected the visa at the embassy in Almaty, it was the same day, within an hour. Cost US$75 for 30 days, and must be paid in USD we were asked if we wanted to amend the entry dates advised on the LoI (we didn't). We met another couple there (one Australian) who did not have an LoI, their visa was going to take 7-10 days or 5 days for an extra US$30 each, they just needed to leave a copy of their passport and come back with the passports for the visa when collecting. That same couple said they went to the Tajik embassy in Almaty and got their visa without a LoI within 20 minutes.

Although the Uzbek embassy website and board out front say the consular section opens at 2pm (mon, tue and fri), it doesn't - it actually opens at 3pm.
0 x

Daze55556

Post by Daze55556 »

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to get visas from the Uzbek and Kazak embassies in Singapore.

I can't seem to get the Kazak embassy to even reply to my emails!

I have an LOI for the Uzbek visa and as soon as they confirm they have the reference number i'll send it off.

I am trying to get a double entry 60 day kazak visa but the requirements are quite formidable, has anyone got an example of a cover letter, bookings for hotels, itinerary etc??

Not sure how to message on this forum. Desperate to get some first hand advice!

Cheers, Tom
Last edited by Daze55556 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Tom,

I think they are on holiday. It is going to take a while before they get back to you, I reckon. Orthodox Christmas is on the 6th of January. Don't expect an answer before that time.

Having read the other messages in this thread, I think they are responsible. If you have the time, I would be patient for another week and try again from 7th of January onwards.

ps: if you don't want to be spammed, I would suggest to take down your e-mail from the board as soon as you don't need it on here anymore...spambots are lurking.
0 x

mafrine

Post by mafrine »

Hi,

What an amazing website this is. So helpful! Thank you.
My partner and I are wanting to visit Kazakhstan and Kyrgystan in July next year. We will begin travelling from mid April to other areas of the world so we were hoping to get our visas sorted prior to leaving. We live in Australia and have Australian passports. It is proving to be quite difficult to find a quick, safe and cheap option to obtain a Kazak visa as we don't have a Kazak embassy in Aus. I have read about various ways we can go about it, but I'm feeling confused as to which to go with. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi MAtrine,

thanks!

If you have the time: cheapest way is to make a stopover in Bangkok or KL and get a Kazakh visa there in a few days. There is more info on the Kazakh visa page on the site.

If not, then you need to send your passport with a courier service (see above for details and prices). That is expensive of course.

Final option is to get a VOA in Almaty or Astana airport. There are regularly big problems with that route

and it is expensive as well, so I generally advise against it. But you can try that as well.
0 x