Visa in China cycling from Turkey / Current situation in Iran

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
ceciliapignocchi

Post by ceciliapignocchi »

Hello everyone,
we are a couple from Italy and we want to cycle the silk road starting in June from Turkey.
We have 2 possible itineraries:
1. Turkey > Georgia > Azerbaijan > Kazhakstan > Kirghizistan > China
2. Turkey > Iran > Pakistan > India

How can we get a visa to China when overlanding?
How is it travelling through Iran right now?
0 x

Erikkkk

Re: Visa in China cycling from Turkey / Current situation in Iran

Post by Erikkkk »

Are you aware the land border to Azerbaijan is still closed? Maybe opening in may.

Also see these topics:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13674
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13381
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

Hello Cecilia, i crossed asia from turkey to india, and then shipped my car to malaysia to continue after to cambodia.You need ofcourse 3 visas for Iran, Pakistan and India. But not really a problem, you can do it all on the road, or everything in advance from your country. I needed fro Pakistan a LOI and had to go to an agencie in Islamabad to arrange my Indian visa. Everything straight forward. 400 EUROS all together for the 3 visas and the LOI. Had no problems at all, everywhere friendly and helpfull people. In India the traffic is the worst i ever had on the 18000 kms journey until Phnom Penh (including a small accident).I think you can go to China crossing Nepal now, but when i was there everything was still closed (november). Enjoy your right and dont hurry . . .
0 x

Lagerfeld

Post by Lagerfeld »

Erikkkk wrote:Are you aware the land border to Azerbaijan is still closed? Maybe opening in may.
No! May be in July, not earlier.
0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

For route 1, you have to fly from tbilisi to baku bc of the closed land borders of azerbailan. They keep on postponing the opening and I wouldn’t count on it happening on july 1.
Also you’d need to apply for a chinese visa in Italy and then cross the border within 3 months. You can’t apply for a chinese visa in central asia.

Sounds like an incredible trip, good luck!
0 x

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi Cecilia, I'm from Italy too but I write in english so everybody can understeand... if you want to get a chinese visa, the only way is doing it in Italy, chinese embassies in other countries do not releas visas to third country citizens. I advice you to ask to a travel agency to get it, since the chances of being regected are lower. you can apply for a single entry visa, that allows you to get into china whitin a 3 months period for 1 month of satying, or a double entry one, which gives you 6 months of time to get into china and still for a 1 month of staying. Once in china you can extend the visa for a max of 1 month more, but you should go to a small city to do that, since laws are more flaxible there compare to big cities, were they give only 15 days max (that was my experience in china in 2019). for Iran you still have 3 months of time to get into the contry but getting the visa is a bit tricky, you need to get a LOI from an iranian agency, that's what the iranian consulate in rome told me
0 x