Uzbekistan - 30 Days Visa Free for USA (amongst others) Nationals Over 55 - Restricted to Uzbekistan Airways only?

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
telavi

Uzbekistan - 30 Days Visa Free for USA (amongst others) Nationals Over 55 - Restricted to Uzbekistan Airways only?

Post by telavi »

Hello,

I am helping a family member book a trip to Uzbekistan.
She is entering through Tashkent airport on Korean Air and leaving through Nukus/Beyneu on a train (land border).
She is over 55, and would qualify for the new visa free 30 days option for US (and Vietnam, for some reason) citizens over 55.
I just wanted to know is there is a hidden requirement that this is restricted to Uzbekistan Airways flights only, like the Chinese 10 day visa free rule.

Timatic and the IATA database does not specify, but I did see this mentioned one-off on a tourist company's webpage.

Any data points or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Telavi
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Uzbekistan - 30 Days Visa Free for USA (amongst others) Nationals Over 55 - Restricted to Uzbekistan Airways only?

Post by sebhoff »

Quoting myself from an answer I gave on Tripadvisor:

Well, as far as I can tell, there is no restriction with respect to the mode (or carrier) of entry. Here’s what it says on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Uzbekistan:

5. For citizens of China (as part of tourist groups), the United States and Vietnam who have reached the age of 55, a visa-free regime has been established for entering the Republic of Uzbekistan for tourism purposes for a period not exceeding 30 days. (https://mfa.uz/en/pages/visa-republic-uzb)

I suspect that what you have read relates to the fact that some tourists may have experienced difficulties because airlines were not fully aware of the rules and regulations. Because airlines are liable for costs incurred if they fly you to a destination for which you have no visa (but need one), they may have wrongfully denied boarding to some US citizens who were aged 55+. The recommendation may therefore be to travel on Uzbek Airlines, because the will definitely be aware of the footnote in the regulations.

I’m not sure what the best way of action is. Perhaps try to get written confirmation from your airline, which can then be presented to reticent check-in staff? At the same time, I would suspect that there are enough US 55+ travelers to Uzbekistan for airlines to have become aware of things?

Just speculating here, of course…

Sebastian
1 x

telavi

Re: Uzbekistan - 30 Days Visa Free for USA (amongst others) Nationals Over 55 - Restricted to Uzbekistan Airways only?

Post by telavi »

Thanks so much for your feedback.
I have just ran it through Timatic again, using the link that Delta (the carrier issuing the ticket) provided.
It came back green, cleared, so I think we are in business.

Fingers crossed!
0 x

telavi

Post by telavi »

Update from our trip starting 7/11 - no problems at the border at all :)
2 x