Getting Iraq Visa at Iraq-Iraqi Kurdistan border?

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
byhike

Getting Iraq Visa at Iraq-Iraqi Kurdistan border?

Post by byhike »

Hi everyone,
I’m looking to spend this winter cycling around Iraq, Iran and Oman however am having difficulties finding information whether it is possible to get a visa for the Republic of Iraq while being in Iraqi-Kurdistan. I will cross from Türkiye into IK and get the 30 day eVisa beforehand.
For the Republic of Iraq, as I have an EU passport I would be able to get a 60 day VOA at land-borders. However I don’t know whether this includes the Kurdistan/R.o.Iraq border (is there even a real border?). Or is it possible to get a visa for R.o.Iraq at an embassy in Erbil for example?

I know this isn’t exactly fitting for Caravanistan but maybe someone has some experience and can help me out. Thanks
0 x

TornadoTim

Re: Getting Iraq Visa at Iraq-Iraqi Kurdistan border?

Post by TornadoTim »

Afaik it's not possible to get a Federal Iraq Visa at any border crossing to Iraqi Kurdistan. It's also not possible when crossing the internal border. You would have to cross into Iran and go further south to a direct border crossing into Federal Iraq. When you cross into Iraqi Kurdistan the only possibility to get a Federal Visa would be to fly from Erbil to Baghdad and get a VOA at the airport. You could then either take your bike with you or fly back to Erbil and travel further with your new Federal Iraq Visa.
2 x