Turkmenistan visa Q&A [archive]

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Turkmenistan Transit Visa

Post by bwv812 »

Check the visa pages for the answers to most questions.

You will definitely need the Iranian visa in order to apply for the Turkmen visa. Getting the Iranian visa shouldn't take long with your LOI, so getting it first is no problem. For the Turkmen you can either ask them for a code to be sent to the border or, if that's not possible, go visit Bukhara/Samarkand/Khiva after applying for your visa then take an overnight train back to Tashkent to pick up your visa, then a train back to Bukhara/Khiva for entry in Turkmenistan.
0 x

laouen

Post by laouen »

bwv812 wrote:Planning on taking only $400 in cash into Turkmenistan sounds like a bad idea to me.
Thanks for the feedback! We will definitely take more than that, I was just wondering what to put on the application. However, I found out in the meantime that we did not have to indicate the amounts, just the ways of payment available to us (cash and credit card).

Today, the Brussels embassy threw another curveball though... I was told over the phone that apparently they are experiencing computer issues and they cannot issue any transit visa in Brussels this month, perhaps in May.

As we are planning to leave in 2 weeks, that's a problem. Anyone any suggestions on how to proceed? Do we just go to the embassy and hope they will help us anyway (hoping that the message on the phone was just a way to deter any tourists?). Do we try to get the visa while on the road (Ankara/Tehran?) and how does that work?

We have all the necessary paperwork available.
0 x
I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Sofie,

you will have to get it on the road. It will be tricky due to the chance of random rejection and the fact that you are on a motorbike. Like I said in the Where are you going-post, send me a mail if you care to drop by, I am living in a 25km radius from you at the moment, I can explain the different options in detail.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

raphaëlle.simounet

Post by raphaëlle.simounet »

Thank you for your answer !
We did our Iranian Visa in Tashkent on Monday and apply for Turkmenistan Transit Visa on Tuesday. We will have the answer next Tuesday : finger crossed !
Some useful information :
- we came at the Turkmenistan Embassy at 5AM to put our names on the list. The policeman told our driver that as foreigners we didn't need to do that. But however, he still put our names on the list (I think it allowed us to safe some time after).
- we came back at 9AM (the Embassy opens at 9AM - from Monday to Thursday)
- after a short wait, we entered the Embassy.
We had filled in advance two copies of the form we found on this website, but we have been asked to fill in new forms as these ones were old. In this new form, no need to specify your annual income, they just ask how much you will have with you for your journey in Turkmenistan.
We also had written a letter for the Consul, but there was no need : they gave us a model letter, and we only had to specify our transit period.
We had our insurance certificate, but they didn't care about it.
Other requested documents : passport, a color copy of your passport and a color copy of the visa for the country you will visit after Turkmenistan (only one copy, not two) and 2 ID pictures.

And now we are waiting for the answer ...
0 x

gateskatherine

Post by gateskatherine »

Hi Raphaelle were you successful?
0 x
Your guide to career breaks & budget travel - http://www.thetravelators.com

Follow us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/thetravelators

RansNL

Question about Turkmenistan visa

Post by RansNL »

Hi guys,

I have two questions:

Recently a Dutch visa company stated the following on it's website:
"Until further notice, there are no transit visas issued for Turkmenistan anymore. Only regular visas are still possible."

I noticed someone on the forum getting his transit visa about 2 weeks ago but also a lot of people who were unsuccesful.
Does someone has any updates on this?

My second question: Where should I best apply for the visa? I was thinking about Tehran and picking it up in Mashhad but since I will arrive around Independence Day (late October) it might be a good idea to apply earlier in Turkey, Georgia or Armenia? Is this possible and where do you suggest applying and pick up?

Thanks for your help :)
0 x

adventurism

Re: Question about Turkmenistan visa

Post by adventurism »

I received mine 7 days ago, although I read that they won't give out visas for around Independence day, so you might me out of luck anyways. In the end you will have to enter to play the bingo this visa thing seems to be to see if you win or not.
0 x
Overland motorcycle trip from Amsterdam to Bali.

Follow the adventure on:
YouTube &
Instagram

roro

Post by roro »

In 2015, I've applied in Ankara and picked-up in Téhéran. ..
RR.
0 x

RansNL

Post by RansNL »

roro wrote:In 2015, I've applied in Ankara and picked-up in Téhéran. ..
RR.
Do you need to fill in your date of arrival in Ankara already or do they give you the date in Tehran? I'm passing Ankara so I think I will apply for the visa there as well
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Yes, but do you mea ?
RR.
0 x