Getting a Russian visa in Mongolia

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
shirleymbk

Getting a Russian visa in Mongolia

Post by shirleymbk »

I am trying to figure out how to get a 3 month Russian visa in central asia or Mongolia. It has been suggested, rather cryptically, to me that I should "try the Russian visa mafia in Ulanbaatar". Does anyone have any suggestions about how I would go about this? I'm a UK passport holder, I expect to be in Ulanbaatar in mid August.

Thanks!
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Getting a Russian visa in Mongolia

Post by Crazydre »

As a British citizen, non-resident in Mongolia, you won't be able to apply in Ulanbaatar (except for Transit visas)

What other embassies are an Option for you?
0 x

shirleymbk

Post by shirleymbk »

Thats what I thought, it was the "russian visa mafia" part that got me interested....

Other embassies-almaty, bishkek, dushanbe. Though I cant remember whether there are actually embassies in bishkek or dushanbe, my plan if I cant get any firm leads in UB is to get a 1 month visa in almaty.

Another idea I had was to send my passport home from Mongolia, but this would leave me travelling around Mongolia for 3 weeks with only a copy of my passport. Spontaneously this feels like it could cause a lot of trouble....any idea?
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

Don't send your passport home unless sticking to "mainstream" areas while in Mongolia. Like in Turkmenistan, police checks for illegal aliens are common and strict, and not satisfying officers of your legal status could get you in serious trouble.

Should you go for this route, at the very least legalise the passport copy and don't wander outside of the most common Tourist spots.

There are embassies in Bishkek or Dushanbe. Don't know whether Almaty, Bishkek or Dushanbe accepts applications by non-residents - according to the latest reports, Dushanbe does, but not the other two
0 x

ash_sak

Post by ash_sak »

I'm current in UB and met a Spanish guy who got a Russian tourist visa here. He just needed to extend his Mongolian visa to either 2/3 months, I've forgotten which.

Apparently the staff at the Russian consulate was really helpful in explaining what was needed.

I'm not sure if the rules are different for UK citizens but I've heard it's possible for us to get a Russian visa in Vietnam if we have a 3 month visa (but not a 1 month).

Hope this helps.
2 x