Turkmenistan Transit Visa in Tehran

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
anomalousbelgian

Re: Turkmenistan Transit Visa in Tehran

Postby anomalousbelgian » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Just to add another experience to the above, applied on July 10th in Tehran with pickup in Masshad. Asked for 1-5 July dates, for Sarakhs-Farap by bicycle (I'm not the same Belgian mentioned by rolynaround). Today, 15 days later, still no decision. Going to the embassy in masshad tomorrow and the day after and the day after... Hopefully it will help.

On the other hand, a French couple by bicycle applied one day later than us (on the 11th) for 10-14 July and they heared yesterday they were accepted. So at least they're still handing out transit visas for July. Just some chance/luck seems to be needed.
0 x

anomalousbelgian

Postby anomalousbelgian » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 am

Update: on Tuesday the Tehran embassy told me that the visa had been refused. I'm unsure if this was true however, maybe there was still no answer and they just said us it was refused as our entry day was only six days away But before this phone call I had again handed in an application form in the masshad embassy (no passport copies or letter this time). They knew about my application in Tehran, but they said this was a different application. He told me to come back on Saturday morning and that I would have the visa by noon. Feeling pessimistic about my chances, I returned this morning. To my surprise, I paid the 55usd and got a receipt (is this really happening?). The transit visa was ready by noon. I'm still finding it hard to believe 😁. I applied 'together' with a Dutch guy (in Tehran and Mashhad) and he also got his visa. I'm a 28y old guy with a light travel beard, same applies to my Dutch friend.

The embassy in MASSHAD still picky about the dollar notes (no stains whatsoever) and you have to pay exact.

We now have the rest of the day to travel to the border in Sarakhs. We're taking the 7pm train from masshad to sarakhs for 60000 rial (with bicycle included, hopefully).
1 x

tandemonde

Postby tandemonde » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello everyone, we are a French couple travelling on a tandem and currently in Iran. We would like to ask for some advice on our current plan.

We want to get both an Iranian visa extension, and a Turkmen visa. However they both have been reported to fail sometimes, the former requiring us to apply in the last days of our current visa's validity while the other takes about 10 days to complete...

Our current plan is the following.

1 Apply in Tehran for a Turkmen transit visa, with a starting date set sometime during our extended Iranian visa (Uzbekistan visa is assumed to be all set). Note that at this point we don't know if our extension will work, however it seems that they do not ask for the copy of the Iranian visa, so we are assuming they don't check Iranian visa expiration dates. Do you know if it is true and we could do it? Do you think we should explain this issue on the letter?
We ask to pick up this visa in Mashahd.

2 Carry on with our travel plans in the south of Iran. We would apply for the visa extension in Shiraz/Isfahan/Yazd depending on what happens on the road.

The possible outcomes are:
- everything works out, great!
- Turkmen visa is refused, curse the skies and improvise a way of getting out of the country. Maybe book a tour?
- Iranian extension is refused. In this case we have to hop on a bus to Mashahd, pick up our Turkmen transit visa and ask to change entry dates to match our current unextended visa. Is this possible? We have seen very few reports of dates being changed at pickup but is it always the case?

Any additional remarks or ideas regarding this situation are appreciated.

Kind regards,
Claude & Stéphanie
0 x

anomalousbelgian

Postby anomalousbelgian » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:16 pm

It shouldn't be a problem to extend your Iranian visa, for example as a cyclist in Yazd I got my visa extended by 30 days eventhough the visa didn't expire for another 15 days. I just had to explain that I didn't pass by big cities where I could extend instead. Shiraz should perhaps be even easier. Mind you that you should also consider the possibility that the Turkmen visa will be rejected.
0 x

laurent_rio

Postby laurent_rio » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am

Hi,

I am Indonesian who is free visa for Uzbekistan, if i want to apply Turkmenistan Visa in Tehran, what should i submit since i dont need Uzbekistan visa to enter the country
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:58 am

All other documents minus the Uzbek visa since you can explain you are visa free.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Mrloes

Postby Mrloes » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:02 am

Here is another successful story. We (a Dutch couple travelling by train and bus) applied for a transit visa on 10 June.

We provided the following documents:

- The two application forms that you get at the embassy
- Two passport pictures (they keep both and don't accept when you only have one)
- Colour copy of passport
- Colour copy of Uzbekistan visa
- Letter explaining why we apply for a transit visa

The guy at the embassy told us to call in 10 days, so on 20 June we called the number mentioned above (+98 (0) 21 2220 6306, then press 2 after the ring tone has stopped). He said they would know the next day whether our visa was approved or not; we also got a reference number to use when calling again. We didn't call again, but went to the embassy on Sunday 24 June, where we got our visa without problems.

Some other things:

- We forgot to fill in the backside of the first application form, but luckily the guy at the embassy pointed this out to us. He was very
friendly.

- We didn't know all the zip codes (of employers and universities etc.) that they ask for at the application form, so we just made up
some postal codes. This didn't have any effect on the outcome, so they're not using those 10+ days to check foreign postal codes ;)

- We kept the explanation letter very short, just wrote: "We hereby apply for a transit visa for Turkmenistan with the purpose of going
from Iran to Uzbekistan" and then the entry and exit points (Sarakhs - Farap) and the dates (26-30 June). I think it's good not
to mention anything like "looking forward to see your country" or any places you're planning to visit in Turkmenistan.

- We borrowed glue from two friendly Spanish guys (thanks!) and I borrowed scissors from the embassy to cut my passport photos.

- When picking up the visa, the embassy guy asked if we wanted to change the dates. We didn't, but at least there seems to be some flexibility.

- We paid 55 USD each, so 110 USD total. When I gave the guy 120 USD (crisp and new notes), he gave me back an old and torn
10-dollar note. I asked for a better one, which I got promptly. Nice try getting rid of those old notes though :lol:

Thanks everyone for all the updates! This helped us a lot.

Good luck when applying, it's definitely worth the hassle!
1 x

norylskinikiel

Postby norylskinikiel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello,

I went today to Turkmen Embassy in Tehran and tried to apply for a transit visa from Iran to KAZAKHSTAN. Unfortunately my documents were rejected. They said that the border with Kazakhstan in Garabogaz is closed until September. So keep it in mind that transit to Kazakhstan in August probabely won't be possible.

There where also few persons applying for a transit visa to Uzbekistan - and their documents were normally accepted.

Good luck with the visas!
1 x

laurent_rio

Postby laurent_rio » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:18 am

Hi,

from the forum i saw mostly apply transit visa for border Sarakh-Farab. Is it now possible apply transit visa in Tehran for border Bajgiran-Farab ?
or they will only approve the shortest distance transit route (Sarakh-Farab) ?

Thanks,

Rio
0 x

laghubhara

Postby laghubhara » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:54 am

laurent_rio wrote:Is it now possible apply transit visa in Tehran for border Bajgiran-Farab ?

Yes, it is possible. We applied in Tehran and got our visa in Mashhad for transit from Howdan/Bajgiran - Farap from 26/08/2018 to 30/08/2018. When we got to the embassy in Tehran, there was a very nice young guy working there and we asked him. He said it was possible and it was.
0 x