Kyrgyzstan for HONG KONG people

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
frankyday

Kyrgyzstan for HONG KONG people

Post by frankyday »

First thing, Steven and Saule, 100% salute to you for such a fantastic website and discussion forum. 100% thumbs up!!

I have gone thru the forum quite completely and also the visa section on the website. Still, help is needed.

Ok. Here is the situation:-

I am from Hong Kong. And I (as most Hong Kong people do as well) have 2 passports. One is British and One is Hong Kong.

For the British one, it is 99% same as the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and North Ireland" Passport, except some minor difference. See this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_N ... )_passport

For the Hong Kong one, it is a Hong Kong passport, but under China. We have separate list of visa-free countries and this Hong Kong passport is 100% different from the China one, though sometimes some non-touristic countries (e.g. Kyrgyzstan) will think the Hong Kong passport is same as China one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong ... n_passport

Question 1 - do you think I need to apply the visa if I am using my British passport (we Hong Kong people called it BNO, which means British National Overseas). Again, this is a British passport but not 100% identical though... I am very very fearful that the immigration at the Bishkek airport will deny us with this passport and say this is not British passport, especially when they see we are Asian appearance.

Question 2 - If my BNO passport cannot be exempted from the visa free, then should I apply a visa with this British passport?

Question 3 - If I wish to apply the visa with my Hong Kong passport, should I apply online and get the LOI first and then apply the visa-on-arrival in the airport with the LOI? Or other better and easier alternatives?

Sorry for being a bit complicated but hope someone, especially Steven, can give some advice.

I cannot make even a slight mistake here because I will be bringing a backpacking tour to Kyrgyzstan by mid August and therefore we are ~10 people. It would be a disaster if anyone of us has any entry problem at the airport!!

A final note, there is NO Kyrgyzstan Embassy or whatsoever in Hong Kong. The nearest is in Beijing and I would say it is little help to us.

Any help appreciated!

Best
Franky
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Kyrgyzstan for HONG KONG people

Post by bwv812 »

From the IATA data it looks like you need a visa, as the visa-free is only for passports endorsed with the nationality of "British Citizen."

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/plan ... 5ba4ece881

The IATA info is a bit weird, as it describes British Nationals as needing VoA with a fee, when in fact it is visa free and there is no fee. It also describes Canadians and Americans, etc., the same way (VoA with fee), which is incorrect. So maybe their data isn't perfect here.

The British gov doesn't list any restrictions on different types of nationality, but is also kind of vague in simply saying "British nationals" don't need a visa:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

In practice I would imagine that showing up at the border with a British passport would be enough to get you in without problems, but I'm not sure I'd want to test that theory.

Maybe try the British embassy in Kyrgyzstan or the Kyrgyz embassy in London?
0 x

frankyday

Post by frankyday »

Thanks for your advice.

I have sent a message to the Kyrgyz embassy in London to ask about my situation, though I am not quite sure whether they will reply or not...

For the British embassy in Kyrgyzstan, I haven't tried yet and thanks for your note on this.

Still, any other help and hints are definitely welcome, especially the visa-on-arrival for my Hong Kong passport. Do I need to arrange the LOI in advance or just show up in the airport with my Hong Kong passport and pay the money?

Best
Franky
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

If you're flying in (sorry, didn't notice this in your initial question), then the airline will consult the IATA rules and likely prevent you from boarding since you're not a "British National." That would be my guess.

At land borders (especially those with few tourists), the guards are less likely to know about the distinction.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

You can also try the British embassy in Kyrgyzstan. Is there no info in Cantonese on the web? I know KG is getting more popular with HK people.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

frankyday

Post by frankyday »

Steven,

Thanks for your advice.

I will try the British embassy in Kyrgyzstan.

And I have read the visa page on the Kyrgyzstan here in caravanistan.com, but I am still a bit confused...

If I use my Hong Kong passport, do I need to arrange the LOI in advance? Or I can simply pay the money and get the visa on arrival when I arrive in the Bishkek airport?
0 x

frankyday

Post by frankyday »

Steven and others,

Assuming I will apply for the LOI from Kyrgyzstan local agencies, which cost me typically USD60 (correct me if this amount is not realistic), and then I will use this LOI to apply for the visa when I arrive in the Bishkek international airport.

Then, when I apply for the visa on arrival in the Bishkek airport, I need to pay another USD60, am I correct?

This means I need to pay USD120 in total, if I am not exempted from the visa free countries, right?

Best
Franky
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, that is it. You need to pay twice. First for the LOI, then for the visa.
0 x

frankyday

Post by frankyday »

Thanks Steven.

Also I heard that after applying the visa in the airport, the tourist need to apply / register for something called OVIR.

I heard that some people do it while some does not do it and no problem.

May I know is it necessary to do it and if yes, how to do it and does it cost to do it?

Thanks a lot
Franky
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I am also looking for more info on this, Franky, but it seems the general rule is that the hotel does it for you on your first night in Bishkek. At least, I have never heard of anyone having problems with it.

Do let me know if you have an experience with it, it will be useful for others.
0 x