Embassy Report: Mongolian visa in London

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Embassy Report: Mongolian Embassy in London

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports and questions on the embassy of Mongolia in London below.

We summarize all info in the Mongolia visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

RobAU

Embassy Report: Mongolian visa in London

Post by RobAU »

Very straight forward to get a Mongolian tourist visa at the embassy in London. I went in and applied on Tuesday and picked up my passport with visa and receipt on Thursday morning.

I took in:
-filled out application form with photo glued on
-passport.

That easy.

I found a cheap hostel on booking.com on my phone whilst I was at the embassy and wrote it's name, address and phone number in the relevant spaces on the form, didn't provide a booking or anything though. I also hand-wrote a letter whilst I sat there briefly saying, "please accept my application for a 30 day tourist visa..." and just put a quick explanation that I could not provide a flight booking as I was travelling overland. I listed my intended points of entry and exit and a few places along the way.

First thing when you get to the window is they'll ask if you want normal processing or same day and then without taking any of your documents they'll give you a slip to go and pay the fee down at the HSBC branch (5 min walk). For normal processing it was 40GBP. When you return with the payment slip, they'll take the slip as well as your application and passport and give you a little ticket with a number on it. The ticket is what you give them when you return to collect it.

Note that people doing same day processing paid 60GBP and were asked to come back after 1300.
1 x

Marilena

Mongolian visa

Post by Marilena »

Hello,
My name is Marilena, I am from Greece and planning to visit Mongolia this summer. There is no embassy in my country so I will apply for the visa at the embassy in London and collect it at the embassy of Moscow. At the official page of the Mongolian Embassy it says a travel insurance, travel itinerary and hotel booking is required. At this website it only demands the application, passport and fees. I would like some more info about this difference. Moreover, do I need a LOI?
Thank you
0 x

roro

Re: Mongolian visa

Post by roro »

Interesting question, indeed...
RR.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi,

it's very unlikely you will need a LOI. It's best to try and contact the embassy to see what requirements they pose. Part of the goal of this website is collecting the info embassy per embassy, because each embassy is different.

In short, I don't know, do let us know if the embassy bothers to pick up the phone.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Marilena

Post by Marilena »

Thanks, Steven, I ll let you know!
0 x

clairey

Post by clairey »

Hi all,
Just a quick update regarding my experience getting a Mongolian visa at London consulate as an Australian.
I got there before opening time on a Tues at 10am and then waited in the line for 1hr 15mins.
With me I brought:
-passport
-visa app + photo
-train ticket into mongolia from china
-hotel booking for 1 night
-travel insurance 24hr hotline number (i get free travel insurance with my credit card when i book return flights)

When I finally got served, my application was rejected because I didn't have a travel insurance policy number. They told me to come back another day, but handed me the bank payment slip anyway.

Instead I ran back to my hostel to print out my bank card insurance policy and proof that I had booked return flights. Went to the bank and paid in CASH the 60gbp rush fee (make sure you collect the stub.) And got back to the office just before closing time of noon.
I then lined up again for another 45mins. (they don't stop people walking in past noon and didn't seem bothered)

This time they tentatively accepted my bank T&C form and print out of my credit card statement showing flights bookings.She also sort of gave me the third degree that I didn't have my exit transport booked, but I explained that I would just book my train ticket to Russia from UB station.

I then returned at 4pm the same day and picked it up. So a bit of running around but got there in the end.

Side notes
- On the visa app, I left the Letter of Invitation section blank, apparently this is acceptable if travelling independantly and no questions were asked.
-It's also possible to pay the fee online - half the people in the room didn't know you could do that so have a careful look on the visa page, must be hidden somewhere on it : ) And bring a print out of the receipt.
-An Italian girl got her app rejected whilst I was there because her travel insurance paperwork wasn't in English. So need to toe the line here.
2 x

Greenoutking

Post by Greenoutking »

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience at the Mongol Embassy last week, got an express (same day) visa.
I arrived an hour before opening and there were already 3 people there.
Australian citizen, I took in with me:
- Passport
- Application form, with photo stuck on
- Proof of Travel Insurance
- Cover letter briefly explaining my intentions whilst in Mongolia (very brief)
- Hotel Reservations (has 4 nights in Olgii and 7 nights in Ulaanbaatar, free cancellation)

I also took various documents proving I had a car and was with that driver, but I did not mention self driving anywhere in my cover letter, and they did not ask for any of those documents.

I was asked whether I had enough money for the trip, without having to provide proof, as well as being told I was “lucky” because they usually don’t accept applications from foreign backpackers, and I would only get it because I was being honest (I think this was bullshit though)

I had not done the bank transfer, instead took £60 cash, and he accepted that. Then told me to come back that afternoon for the visa. Easy!
2 x

Marilena13

Mongolian visa

Post by Marilena13 »

here's some info about how I got my visa to Mongolia

embassy of London.
required;
-flight tickets or transmongolian (easy to book from a flight center near the embassy, next to the post office)
-hotel booking (book hostels from booking.com, cancel them after receiving visa)
-itinerary (basically what you will do in Mongolia and how you will be moving around the country, just take a look at the tours and write something believable)
-insurance (got mine online for 10 pounds)
-fee (40 pounds or 60 if you want the visa the same day)
-application (just your info as stated in your passport)

the fee has to be payed by cash!!!!
sweet travels everyone!
1 x

antoine94m

Re: Embassy Report: Mongolian visa in London

Post by antoine94m »

Hello,

Swiss citizen living in London. Planning to go to Mongolia next summer across land from Russia through Tashanta border (near Olgii). I was just wondering what to do for proof of flights? I only have a return ticket from Ulaanbaatar. What would you recommend?

Let's imagine I put UB international airport as my entry point (dummy travel confirmation), am I forced to enter via UB international airport?

Thanks,
Antoine
0 x