Mongolia visa extension

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Tobbe

Mongolia visa extension

Post by Tobbe »

Hey Friends!
In the end of September i Want to enter China with my bicycle via Irkeshtam Pass....and then continue to Kashgar, urumqi and then Cross the Chinese/Mongolian border in "Bulgan takashiken"
Has someone experience with it IF it is Open for foreigners? (iam German) in the caravanistan Map it is Green marked.

Second question: i know germans are visa free for 30 days in mongolia but i will Need More so is it possible to go to Ulan bator within my free 30 days and then to extend my Mongolian Visa there? Or do i have to Register before somewhere?
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Border crossing mongolia

Post by Crazydre »

You should go to the Immigration Bueau in Ulanbaatar or Ölgii immediately after Arrival and apply for a 30-day Extension.

As for Bulgan takashiken, I'm not sure. The only crossing from China I know to be open for non-Mongols/Chinese is Zamyn-Üüd. Do let us know how it goes.
0 x

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

Yes First Thank you for your reply! But my Problem is i will Need about 14 days to Ulan bator with bicycle?! Whatccan i do?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

You get 30 days on entry, and the rule states you're to extend within 7 days of Arrival. You can extend later, but you'll pay a 200000 tögrög (USD 100) fine for being late.
1 x

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

Great! Okay so IF i arrive within my 30 days in Ulan bator to extend Visa there i Pay 100 Dollar and everything is Fine?
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

This is what I understand to be the case, yes.

Just in case, call the Mongolian embassy in Berlin and ask
0 x

David

Post by David »

Hi Crazydre

We have a similar question, about registration / extending in Olgii:

We are traveling by bicycle and will enter Mongolia from Russia at the Tashanta-Tsagaannuur–Border. We just have the normal 30-days visa and it would be great if we could extend it already in Olgii.

Do you know more about the process or even address of the immigration office?
The only other source (I've found) who says that the registration / extension in Olgii is possible is Lonely Planet. Registration seems to be fast - but I've read somewhere that extending takes about two weeks, because they send the passport to Ulaanbaatar. If so, it doesn't really makes sense to extend there.

Hope you know more:-)
Thanks for your help and feedback.
David
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

Bring your passport, a passport photo and an explanation letter about the reason for your Extension with the address you're staying at (unless you camp in the bush, in which case you should explain that).

The latest info I have is a 7-day Extension costs 27000 tögrög (12 euros), then 3600 tögrög (1.5 euros) for each additional day.

Basically you pay the fee, then get an application form to fill out, and Hand it in along with the above mentioned documents.

As for the docs being sent to UB when applying at Ölgii, this may or may not happen. Depends on the whims of the officers on that day. I'm Aware of People who got the Extension within 3 days in Ölgii, but this is not most commonly the case.
0 x

David

Post by David »

Sounds quite good. Thanks for your fast reply.
0 x