Transit Visa Turkmenistan - Arrival by plane

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
JackDaniels99

Transit Visa Turkmenistan - Arrival by plane

Postby JackDaniels99 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the transit visa for Turkmenistan.
Is it possible to receive such a transit visa if I arrive by plane in Asghabat and travel to Usbekistan (over the border in Kunya-Urgench)? And can you do a stop and visit the fires in Derweze? I'm not sure if the transit visa allows such things.
I couldnt find any information for that matter, so I'm hoping to get some information in this forum.

Thanks and kind regards,
Daniel
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Transit Visa Turkmenistan - Arrival by plane

Postby bwv812 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 am

You can go anywhere and do anything on a transit visa, so long as you enter by the port specified and exit by the port specified (before the visa expires, obviously). Visiting Derweze is no problem.

Supposedly it is possible to get a transit visa while flying into Ashgabat. But right now it sounds like no transit visas are being issued at all, and for the past some months people have been denied transit visas in high numbers.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Transit Visa Turkmenistan - Arrival by plane

Postby Crazydre » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:23 pm

You can visit anywhere in Turkmenistan on any visa (except Atamurat, Cheleken, Dashoguz, Serakhs and Serhetabat, which Need to be specifically endorsed on the visa)

Whether you can get a Transit visa for entering by air varies between embassies. AFAIK it should be possible at most
0 x