Chinese Visa in Ulaan Baatar (Mongolia)

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Chinese Visa in Ulaan Baatar (Mongolia)

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the embassy of China in Ulan Bator below.

We summarize all info on the China visa page, under embassy reports.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

NomadXpress

Chinese Visa in Ulaan Baatar (Mongolia)

Post by NomadXpress »

Hi,

after 6 months travel chasing the long-awaited Chinese visa (we got bad luck in all the -Stans countries), it seems that from the 2nd September 2016 also in Ulaan Baatar (Mongolia) the application is closed for tourists / overlanders non resident in Mongolia (without a valid Mongolian ID card).

Please find the related post on our blog:

http://www.nomadxpress.org/not-getting- ... -mongolia/

and facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/nomadxpress/

for further information and updates!!

While travelling overland across the Silk Road (Venice - Beijing), we realized that probably the only available option for a Chinese Visa is Teheran (Iran) (until June 2016 at least).

We will soon test other Chinese embassies in Russia and Far East and let you know...stay tuned!

By the way, anybody has tested to get the Chinese Visa in Irkutsk (Russia), Khabarovsk (Russia), Vladivostok (Russia), Japan or South Korea ??

As an alternative, overland route to get to China from Mongolia...

Thanks a lot!

NomadXpress
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

In 2012 you could only get a Chinese visa in Korea if you were a Korean resident. I visited the embassy in Tokyo, and it seemed they would have let me apply but they said there was a one-week waiting period and I didn't want to wait that long since I thought I could get it in Korea (they may have believed I was a resident, though, as the definite trend was to require applications only from your country of residency).
0 x

NomadXpress

Post by NomadXpress »

Thank you a lot,

apparently it still might be possible now in Japan...but we will check further...

NomadXpress
0 x

olmo

Post by olmo »

Really hope to hear conflicting reports about UB :-(

For alternatives, some cyclists managed to get even the maximum 90 days in Seoul, like these guys:
http://www.twistingspokes.com/three-tim ... nese-visa/
1 x

NomadXpress

Post by NomadXpress »

Thank you Olmo,

We will try first in Japan and then as a last resort in South Korea...

We will keep you updated!!
0 x

Fiestje

Post by Fiestje »

Hi!

We sadly confirm the news that it is NO LONGER POSSIBLE for foreigners to obtain Chinese visa in Mongolia.

We arrived yesterday in Ulaan Bator, heard we got júst too late once more (the same thing happened to us in Teheran), but went to the Chinese embassy today anyway. You never know, we thought, but it is true. There is no explanation or anything, the guard (who doesn't speak English) just showed a handwritten paper with that simple phrase.

For foreigners with a residence permit in Mongolia it might be possible with a paper from their embassy, but tourists have to find another way, if there is still any...

NomadXpress, we admire your courage. We feel defeated and will probably fly to South East Asia to continue our trip...
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

I'm guessing visas will be available in Hong Kong for a long time, as the guys offering the service there have very strong contacts. When I was there same-day service was possible, and my visa was actually issued in Shenzhen.

You can contact them if you have questions, but from their website it looks like they're still going strong.

http://www.fbt-chinavisa.com.hk/services.html
0 x

NomadXpress

Post by NomadXpress »

Thank for the info to all !

In few days we are crossing to Russia and following our trip to Japan, whit hope to get the Chinese visa there.

If we are unlucky, we will have to take another route and maybe Hong Kong will be our last chance. Fingers crossed !
0 x

Hélène

Post by Hélène »

Hey ! Good news (and sorry for the previous people who turned back..)

IT POSSIBLE AGAIN to have the chinese visa in UB, since one week.
We had the same problem, travelling for a long trip, trying everywhere, mongolia was our last chance.
We arrive 8th of september, heard it was newly impossible, but maybe not for a long time so we extended our visas and waited for, enjoying mongolia.

So, it changed ! We get it yesterday, in case they change their mind again we paied more to have it on the same day, 60$ / pers.

We gave (french citizen - but everybody had same papers i think)
- application form (2013)
- bank account
- booking hotel for all or stay (booking.com, it's free)
- plane ticket (air market or air trans on peace avenue, give you fake ones almost for free) or train, in and out
- insurance
- Fotocopy of passeport and mongolian visa

Previous week people needed a paper from their own embassy (some of them charged 40$ for it), we DON'T need it any more (well, not this week) !
It's a bit tricky, they try to afraid or impress you, asking questions about everything (the woman didn't believe we could make a new passport in UB - my friend's passeport was full, so he've been there with a very new and empty one from or embassy). Each one spent at least 10-15min at the office, even if you have everything. But finally it's ok !

Well, good luck !
4 x