Kyrgyzstan new registration rule

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Kyrgyzstan new registration rule

Post by steven »

All updates on the rule are collected at http://caravanistan.com/visa/kyrgyzstan/registration/
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

DAEMO79

Re: Kyrgyzstan new registration rule

Post by DAEMO79 »

We just encountered this new law today. Luckily we decided to stay at a hostel while we sorted out our visas.
the tourism industry are petitioning against registration due to the hassle and costs involved.

Pour hostel contact is currently helping us with the processor which even she is confused.
We were told we would be fined 10000som each if we failed to register.

The require your physical passport and entry stamp.

Will up date once completed.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

So they do away with visas but then introduce registration requirements four years after that? I wonder what the though process--if any--behind that is.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Here is some background; http://www.eurasianet.org/node/81151

Still does not make any sense at all since Chinese already needed to register, but many people were not happy with the visa-free thing when it happened (loss of income from corruption/visa fees) and I could definitely see visas coming back again. It is an eternal struggle between 2 parts of government - same in other CA countries.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

The Chinese angle makes more sense, since the Kyrgyz border guards don't seem to be too interested in extorting tourists and I would have doubted those conscripts carried much weight in Parliament.

On the other hand, it seems unlikely that changing the registration requirement from 30 to 5 days will do much to curb migrant workers who are presumably already required to register.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

First report is in, a friend who does small-scale tours.

I bring the passports to her before 10 and get them back after 15:00. 500 som each. Clients do a walking tour of the city or go for a day trek.

The official price is 120 som + 2-3 hours of your life.
My time is worth more than 240 som per hour

All the forms are in Russian and there is no less than 80 people standing in this small room.

And you have to get stamps from 3 places. And if you rent a place in Bishkek you have to have your landlord come with you and you have to bring the floor plans of your flat.
1 x

NucMed

Post by NucMed »

DAEMO79 wrote:The require your physical passport and entry stamp.
This will be a problem for those that may go to Bishkek for a visa for another country. Fly in on a Saturday, drop passport and application at embassy on Monday, receive passport back on Friday and you are at 6 days without passport ... and not registered ...

This will mean flying in at least 1-2 days (with attendant costs of accommodation) early ...
1 x

RansNL

Post by RansNL »

I'm in Bishkek at the moment and I just registered so I will write down my experience.

First I went to Kievskaya 58. I asked around and after the lady who I spoke to asked around for 10 minutes, I was told that I couldn't register there and that I needed to go to Prospekt Mira 95. You will recognize the building immediately when you arrive there.

Once inside it was chaotic. A lot of frustrated people running around with all kinds of forms. I tried to figure out what to do. A lady told me that I needed a copy of my passport and my entry stamp. They can copy it for you for 3 som per scan. After that I went to another desk I was told by a Croatian guy who works in Bishkek. I went to the counter and discovered that they don't speak English at all. Luckily an English speaking girl helped me out with everything. You need to fill in a form (5 som for the form) and provide the adress where you staying. If you are couchsurfing or staying with a friend, which I do, they also need his or hers passport number. After that I needed to go to another counter to pay 120 som. Then they gave me a number and I had to wait till my number was on the screen and I went to another counter again where they stamped my passport with a registration stamp. Without a Russian translator it's almost impossible to register yourself as you need to fill in the (Russian) forms in Russian as well. They don't accept English writing.

It took me around 30 minutes I guess but only because the girl helped me fill in everything, let me call my friend with her phone to ask for his passport number and joined me to every counter.

Maybe it is possible at Kievskaya 58 if you speak Russian and maybe it is easier there but at least I'm happy that I have the stamp. I've heard that they will fine everyone at the border who isn't registered. Even if you arrived before November 4th.
2 x

culebro

Post by culebro »

Hi everyone. As far as I could know, from a local source (not 100% sure though), the measure is quite likely to be at worst changed (maybe to registration in the first month) and at best straight eliminated. However, we will only get to know if it effectively changes so for the moment no news.
1 x

elaman

Post by elaman »

Hey everyone, hope you are well.
Just stopped by to update on this ridiculous law. According to this trustworthy new site: http://kloop.kg/blog/2016/12/13/pravite ... -dekabrya/
From 19 December, guests from around 90 countries will need registration only if they stay 30 or more. Article also includes map of countries, which are affected.
1 x